1977 VERMONT CASTINGS VIGILANT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMANGAN32

Dec 20, 2016
BUFFALO
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a home which has a 1977 Vigilant installed in the corner of the living room.
I have checked it over and it looked fine. Fired it up and man does this pump out some serious heat. My concern with this stove is that it tends to make the walls next to it very very hot. I can come up with measurements and pictures if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thank you!!!

It's a great stove and does pump out the heat. You really need to make sure that the minimum distance to sidewalls from the stove is followed per the manual.
It's not as efficient as a newer stove but mine was 500 bucks, not over 2000.00. I think I can live with that.

It's not as efficient as a newer stove but mine was 500 bucks, not over 2000.00. I think I can live with that.
They absolutly are good old stoves but you cen get much better modern stoves for allot less that $2000

. I can come up with measurements and pictures if anyone has any thoughts on this.
We need to know your current measurements. That is one of the down sides to classic stoves their clearance requirements are much larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.