1979 vermont vigilant issues heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catfish mafia

Dec 20, 2018
Pa
I recently installed a purchased in 1979 VC vigilant multi fuel stove . Over been running it a week now been playing with different stuff on it after reading a lot on here. Here's my issue no matter what I do I can not get stove past 300 ° griddle temp what can I do with it to make it burn hotter ? I got good burn I believe cause I see the blue flames

Attachments

• 1214181535.jpg
    1214181535.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 189
a bunch of questions
where did you see the blue flames from?
how long has your wood been dry?
how long is your chimney?
is the temp you see on top of the stove or on the pipe?
how long do you wait before going from up draft to horizontal burn?
how many splits of wood are trying to burn at one?

frank

just noticed something in your picture. if you are trying to burn wood only take out that barometric damper. that is slowing your burn down to a crawl and is probably making a ton of creosote for a chimney fire

Sorry I thought I had in original post I'm burning coal . my chimney roughly 4 ft up up from stove into a 90 then back into chimney 2 and half ft then up roughly 24 ft straight up out the roof . The temp I'm seeing is off the griddle with magnetic temp gauge .

sorry i don't know a thing about coal and don't remember the coal forum. maybe someone else knows the coal forum.