1980 era Vermont Defiant install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spano89

Dec 13, 2023
Alabama
Trying to figure out the most economical/efficient method to install venting for a rear exit 8" flue on a 1980 era Defiant. No experience with wood stoves so sorry in advance. I want to maintain as much stove pipe in the house as possible, from floor to ceiling is 20ft high. Can I throw on a 90 elbow out the back and start running it up the wall to a pass through a wall thimble? My concern is too many 90s and as a result I am considering a 30 degree thimble (https://www.stove-parts.net/Ventis-8-inch-Classs-A-30-Degree-Wall-Pass-Thru-p/va-wpt0830.htm). My theory is that maximizing stove pipe inside and using the 30 degree thimble this will reduce the amount of Class A required outside the barno and save me some $$. Any suggestions? Thanks

Looks like an invitation for water entry. Why not go straight up through the roof with a cathedral ceiling support box?

Looks like an invitation for water entry. Why not go straight up through the roof with a cathedral ceiling support box?
It's a metal roof 30' off the deck, the internal construction is too difficult to get a pipe through the ceiling and this is a DIY job so a wall is easier.

my real concern is that on a rear exhaust stove how many 90s can I get away with before venting problems set in? Looking at three 90s starting from the stove to running up the side of the house...may also need to offset for an eave.

It's not an issue with a straight up flue through the roof and that can be less expensive. A tee and thimble are not cheap. Plus, it sounds like an offset is going to be added. Elbows aren't cheap either and that adds more restriction.