1980 V.C. Resolute – good year/model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

agbegin

Oct 31, 2023
RI
I've been looking for a wood stove to replace a pellet insert I sold.

I came across a used VC Resolute from 1980. In some earlier research I think I saw people saying that certain years/models are better than others, and some years were poor quality for VC (due to bankruptcy/acquisition or other issues).

Wondering where this 1980 Resolute lands on the spectrum? The guy moved into a house where it was installed and it looks very lightly/barely used for such an old stove.

I don't have the budget to go for a brand new stove at this time... but if I could grab this for under $1k, is it worth doing? Might I have to replace gaskets and such due to age, or do those only need replacing after heavy use?

Thanks!

1700662376012.png 1700662462931.png

That's a Resolute III and a very good stove with all cast iron parts. If it has low usage and the price is good, then it should work out. It's a small stove good for heating about 1,000 sq ft. We had the Resolute I and loved it.

I still have one in my front parlor and intend to keep it as long as I can.