(2) 45's vs (1) 90 elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fagan2425

Mar 31, 2022
Rochester NY
Just had my BK Ashford installed last week, and first fire is today. It seems to be running great.
One question...
The stove has chimney gong through exterior wall. I have a good vertical distance directly from the top of the stove w/ 3' 8" inches of double wall pipe - then goes to a 90 elbow out to the chimney witch extends 20 ft. The dealer had 45 elbows on back order, so they just installed the (1) 90 elbow. am I loosing much draft with the 1 90 vs 2 45's - will it really make that big of a difference?

Just had my BK Ashford installed last week, and first fire is today. It seems to be running great.
One question...
The stove has chimney gong through exterior wall. I have a good vertical distance directly from the top of the stove w/ 3' 8" inches of double wall pipe - then goes to a 90 elbow out to the chimney witch extends 20 ft. The dealer had 45 elbows on back order, so they just installed the (1) 90 elbow. am I loosing much draft with the 1 90 vs 2 45's - will it really make that big of a difference?
Are you at sea level? Any other bends? Is it working fine now? 20’ outside vertical plus almost 4’ vertical interior is plenty stack even with the losses through both 90 degree bends.

I’d leave it if it’s working well.

Switching to the 45s will help it work a little better during mild weather but if it is working well at 50-55º outside temp then its probably ok to leave it. The 45's will make it easier to sweep.

Are you at sea level? Any other bends? Is it working fine now? 20’ outside vertical plus almost 4’ vertical interior is plenty stack even with the losses through both 90 degree bends.

I’d leave it if it’s working well.
Yup - seems to be working well - and its 50 or so degrees out. My town is around 370 ft above sea level - so pretty much sea level. the 90 is the only bend ( except for the 90 once it comes out of the house to go straight up 20). The glass gets pretty cloudy as soon as I turn down the thermostat, and flames go way down but it stays well into the "active" area on thermostat - not sure if this would improve or make a difference w/ the 2 45's ? ..
This is the stoves first burn too... and yeah Ill be learning for a bit. ... and no I haven't checked wood moisture w/ moisture reader yet, but should be good - mostly ash.

Switching to the 45s will help it work a little better during mild weather but if it is working well at 50-55º outside temp then its probably ok to leave it. The 45's will make it easier to sweep.
thanks. Its running pretty good on first burn with outside temp at 50 degrees. because of the total price tag I'm just being extra precise to ensure its running 100% the best it can. Then again. if its barely going to make a difference I will probably just leave as is. its an easy fix down the road. My installer who Id' trust seemed to think it would not make much difference even though its recommended in the manual to use 2 45's.