$2.70/yr saved! Redundant GFCI removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have you measured the draw on Arc Fault breakers that are now required in far more circuits?

At the moment I don't have any AFCIs to measure.

However, I just looked up the circuitry of a typical AFCI; I see that IDT Semiconductors manufactures an integrated circuit specifically for this purpose. Let's look at this (extract from IDT data sheet):

"The ZNRG2061 is a smart system-on-chip for arc-fault detection in photovoltaic solar power systems..." It goes on to say that this chip is used in PV solar power inverters, combiner boxes, DC optimizers, and stand-alone arc-fault circuit interrupters(AFCI). It's UL listed.

That chip measures current through a current transformer and watches for frequencies between 6KHz and 12KHz. Its signal analysis uses a continual 24 bit fast Fourier transform (FFT). This, takes a bit of computing power: the chip has an average supply current of 20milliamps.

Ignoring any other circuitry in the AFCI, this 20ma is about twice the current draw of a GFCI; so I estimate that the AFCI's parasitic power load is at least 2.5 watts, and likely more (perhaps 3 to 5 watts).

Sounds like a potential job for minimum mandatory state standards to me! GFCIs are not really a consumer product, and an ENERGY STAR program won't move the market toward more efficient GFCI models unless builders get some kind of credit for including them in new construction/renovation.
BTW, check out the new Home Energy article by some of Cliff's colleagues at LBNL at http://www.homeenergy.org/show/article/id/2252/nav/hotwater.

Article appears to be subscription only

I wonder if gfci breaker use the same amount of power. Instead of adding the gfci outlets needed in our 1950 house I used gfci breakers(which met the code instead of the gfci outlets)

compared to the pointless phantom loads of everyone's microwave or stove for which there is no benefit or value from the phantom load.
What, the clock doesn't count? What about remembering my favorite bagel-heating setting? :)