2006 Mt Vernon AE, No Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrbgrant

Jan 25, 2018
massachusetts
Thanks in advance for any suggestions from the team. I have a electrical surge damaged 2006 MT Vernon AE that lost all power. A local tech had replaced the Control Board but nothing. So I have taken out the power supply and I get 120V in and 120V out. I have pulled the control board and I get 120V in and 120V cross the fuse. That is it. I was thinking that I would see 120 on the snap disc connector (right next the 15V DC input connector), but nothing.

One note- my old service tech (who does not handle the MR Vernon AE) suggested that the power supply converts the 120V down to DC current and that the power supply may need to be replaced.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

High limit snap disc popped? Its by you auger motor you have to manually push the button between the connections.

Hopefully "kappel15" or others who know will give you some direction.. When you get up and running be sure to connect a quality surge protector to your stove. I have them on ALL electronics and on my main panel box..

The only thing that gets 120 on the control board is for the igniter. As the old tech said, rest is converted to DC. Do you get DC in from power supply on control board ? There are 3 fuses. Two in the control board. Once is for AC, and one is for DC. There is one in the power supply for AC. kap

If you have 120 V across the fuse, it’s bad.

Everyone- thank you for the answers, to be very honest I am really enjoying this project (although I have a feeling that I may not like the cost in the end).

1. I did press the high limit snap disc and I also tried to jump it. but I have not power into the snap disc at all.
2. I have enclosed a the schematic from the troubleshooting guide. Kappel15, I was quite excited the service tech who installed the new board left the 15DC wire off that runs from the power supply unconnected to the control board. I highlighted (#1). I though it may be an easy fix, but it is clear that there is no DC voltage coming from that DC plug off the power supply at all. i have checked the wires for continuity and all is fine. My assumption is that the tech how worked on the stove left the DC plug unconnected because there was no power. Therefore I probably need a new power supply. does that sound correct.

Heat seeker your reply just came in...I will change out those fuses tomorrow....it actually makes sense to start with the cheapest part. but it still do have an issue on the DC side with no power at all. thank you

Thanks again for all of the assistance

Attachments

• mt vernon AE.PNG
    mt vernon AE.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,713
Last edited:
Your DC voltage could be missing because of a bad fuse. You could pull the fuses out and just check them with an ohmmeter.

The service tech should of brought both a control board and a power supply, so as not to sell you something you didn't need. And i would check connection at power supply for DC power, to eliminate a bad DC power cord. And it was nice of Quad to bury the fuses inside both parts.kap

I did have opened up and tested the power supply and there is nothing on the DC Side. I did test the fuses with my multi meter and they all have tested fine (ohh couldn't have been that simple). I have the power supply pulled and will review the test the individual components this evening. I will keep the team posted with the progress tomorrow.

and yes it was a pain to get to all of the fuses.

I want to thank everyone for their input. it is a great project and I cannot wait the get this stove going again.
Repectfully
John

Glad you are able to diagnose your own stove. We are awaiting your updates. kap

Glad you are able to diagnose your own stove. We are awaiting your updates. kap
I just wanted to thank everyone again. I have not tested circuit boards since I was a young man (25 years ago).. but the family worked on the project last night. it looks like we are having transformer issue on the power supply. We decided to order a new power supply. Also there looks to be a new harness with inline fuses for the ignitor.. we will get that too. I everything is scheduled to arrive in about a week and I will update the team with any findings. after we get everything installed. have a great weekend and thanks again.

I finally put my wire harness with inline fuses on a few weeks ago when igniter went. Had it for over a year. Talk about procrastinating.:rolleyes: kap

Reactions: Ssyko
I wanted to thank everyone for the assistance, I got the final part in today. I am very excited, I purchased this electrical surge damaged Mt Vernon AE for short money. I used it as a project for the family. In the end, your input allowed us to diagnose that the power board was only providing AC current and that the transformer was not providing power to the 12V side. I installed a new power control board and a new wire harness for the ignitor (it has the 2 fuses on it). I spend the day retiring my 2005 Englander (dependable workhorse) and swapped it out for the Mt Vernon. I cannot believe the heat that the Mt Vernon throws. I am extremely happy. I will be interested in seeing if I have a large clinker in the burn pot tomorrow. I owned a Classic Bay (lemon) for a short period and on cold days it always had a hard time keeping up with the heat and on many occasions I would have these partially burned clinkers that would clog the burn pot.

Thanks again to all of you, I greatly appreciate all of the help.

Respectfully,
The Grant Family

Reactions: Mt Bob
Glad you are up and running, and enjoy the stove. You probably have a spare control board now. Stay warm. kap

Reactions: Mt Bob
I thought Long and hard about buying that stove. I saw the ad in Craigslist.you got a great stove for cheap cheap money and great that you got it up and running.