2020 Encore Stovetop Handle Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

labans

Dec 31, 2020
Central Texas
I am stumped at understanding how the folks at VC decided on the size and shape of the handle the opens the top of my stove. What I mean is that when the stove is properly fired up, that tiny little handle is way tooo hot to touch and even worse, the round black piece at the end of the handle is not attached and spins so that if you don't grab it straight on, once you get up 8-10" and the weight takes over it can slip right out of your hand and Boom! Does anyone know if by chance a good soul has designed and is selling a replacement ? I almost think anything would be better!
Here is a photo:

IMG_4788.jpg

I don’t know if there are larger handles available. Maybe VC has addressed this?

Does wearing a heavy glove give your hand enough protection?

Mine's the same on my old Encore, I've never had it too hot to touch and I never had a problem opening the stove top to reload. I've had the stove for 35 years now.

I don’t know if there are larger handles available. Maybe VC has addressed this?

Does wearing a heavy glove give your hand enough protection?
Gloves work fine and I use one as needed. Just frustrated by being required to use one. I will call VC to see if there is an answer. Thanks for the reply.

Mine's the same on my old Encore, I've never had it too hot to touch and I never had a problem opening the stove top to reload. I've had the stove for 35 years now.
I might be running my stove a bit hotter than yours, but probably the main difference is that I have the VC fan hooked up and when I put up the screen in front of the stove (to keep the dogs from getting burned!) that channels the air from the fan to the front of the stove and up so that that little handle gets really really hot. I am convinced that a longer handle would do the trick.

Must be something different about yours. My stove has been running continuously for days and with the STT at 600 I can touch that knob with my bare hands and open the griddle.