25-IP Blower issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lindju87

Mar 31, 2017
New Brunswick
Hello!

I'm brand new to the site. I bought an Imperial 25-IP in 2015 and it worked excellently for the first winter. This season, the heat was drastically reduced, even in setting 9. I've been back and forth with the customer service line but haven't really gotten anywhere. The heat blowing out is still very minimal and since we reset the control board, the blower doesn't even stay in anymore. It will turn on and blow heat out for a few minutes, then turn off. We have cleaned it out and unhooked and cleaned out the pipes and chimney as well. The advanced settings are set to 6-4-1. Could this be an issue with the room blower? We did also have a thermostat hooked up as well, however the stove started beeping just before this all started so we unhooked the thermostat thinking I it may have been the cause. It initially worked fine at the beginning of this past winter but hasn't worked properly for months. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! You mentioned cleaning the exhaust venting but did you clean the stove internal exhaust passages? Has there been a change in pellets used this winter compared to last winter? Error codes? Plugged into a surge protector? Did you replace the jumper when you disconnected the thermostat? Room blower not staying on ... set too high for heat range so stove temp drops quickly and blower shuts off or cleaned out windings on the blower motors or thermistor wires are loose or thermistor is malfunctioning.

Thank you! Yes we did clean the internal exhaust passages. No change in pellets this year. We have been getting the E2 failure to light error code more frequently than prior to this starting. We did replace the jumper as well when we took the thermostat out, however this was happening with the thermostat hooked up as well. Happens on all heat range settings. What's the thermistor? We did check the wires on the panel and none seem to be loose. Thanks!

From the manual, error 2 code:
http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/manuals/2838/25-ip_canada_sm.pdf
When this code is displayed in the controlboard window it indicates a failure to light. Although the stove may have ignited the pellets, the controlboard did not register a high enough temperature to determine the fire was lit. If a fire was ignited, wait for the unit to cool, clean the burnpot and restart the unit.

Thermistor is the term US stoves uses for their thermal sensor ... sorry for the confusion;em Always make sure you unplug the stove when working in the cabinet so you or your control board doesn't get shocked.

Page 33 details possible problems...

Is the ignitor working as it should? When you clean, do you vacuum around the ignitor? If ash is trapped around the ignitor, it will impede lighting as it is not the ignitor itself that lights the pellets but the super heated air that travels beside the ignitor to the pellets. If that is clear, I would check the thermal sensor connections. Not sure of their failure rate, but may want to replace as it is an inexpensive part.

What pellets are you using? There are some that create more problems than they're worth. If they are not igniting or igniting well and not providing the control board's minimum preset temperature quick enough, the blower will shut down.

Thermistors are used in many heating apps. Mine went bad in my Woodmaster 5500 and the ECU was doing all kinds of crazy stuff and not working correctly. Basically the sense temps much like the ESP probe in Harman stoves.

I'm not familiar with the OP's particular stove and can not remember what I did to check mine out several years ago. Possibly check it with an Ohm meter or multi meter. I'm sure there would be stuff on Youtube or the net as to directing someone as to how to check one out.

Also use the search bar here and plug in your problem because I'm sure there are many threads that would be informative.