25-PDV performance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ridgeracing

Dec 6, 2017
PA
After having an old 25-pdvc at my camp for years, I decided to purchase a new one for my home (25-pdv) replacing a coal stove we had to get rid of for other reasons. Stove is set in D mode and lower buttons 4-4-1 (was 6-4-1). Here is my problem/ question , running heat/blower at 3-4 or 4-5 I am only getting 18-20 hours out of a bag and not really that much heat. I plugged both lower holes. Looks like a nice full flame, plenty of air coming out. I do notice 4ft of pipe coming up and threw wall to chimney does get very hot. I do have to clean burn plate off every 12hours or so with 1 - 2inches of unburnt coals. Glass stays fairly clean, only cleaned it 1 time in 6 days running straight. Shut down and did my 1st weekly cleaning today. Back to my main issue- I am only get 24hrs out of a bag on setting 1,2 maybe 20-22hrs on 3.

Last edited:
20171223_211651.jpg
20171223_211646.jpg
View attachment 218587 View attachment 218588 View attachment 218588 My house is a 1300sq ft ranch with a 1000sq ft block basement that stove is in. We leave stairway door open on one end and have 2 vents at other end of house for circulation. Basement needs to be 74-76 to keep upstairs 69-71deg.

Last edited:
The stove burns approximately 2.38 pounds of pellets on heat setting 3 and 2.82 pounds on heat setting 4 while in "C" mode. Subtract about 6% for "D" mode.. After heat setting 2 on the 25-PDV, the bottom 3 numbers do nothing. You running a OAK?

The stove burns approximately 2.38 pounds of pellets on heat setting 3 and 2.82 pounds on heat setting 4 while in "C" mode. Subtract about 6% for "D" mode.. After heat setting 2 on the 25-PDV, the bottom 3 numbers do nothing. You running a OAK?
That equals to 15-18 hours out of a 40lb bag on setting 3 + 4? so to get 24hrs out of a bag it has to be on #1 or 2 setting?

Last edited:
So your stove is burning good and you just want to get 24hrs out of a 40 lb bag?

I don't no if I would say perfect, with the pile of unburnt coals every 12hrs. But I was hoping to get at least 20-22hrs on setting #4 and 24hrs on #3? So the only way to get 24hrs is on #1 + 2? It was only 35deg. Last night and these are my results, just worried when we hit 20s and teen temps. I think I will be on setting #5 or #6 and that will be a bag every 12-14hrs est.

Pile of coals is somewhat inherent to the stove unless you make changes to the burn pot. Do you have the 2 holes under the fire plate plugged? That stove will cook you out of the house but it also trades off heat for more pellets. Only so much economy can be had for a stove no matter what make.

Pile of coals is somewhat inherent to the stove unless you make changes to the burn pot. Do you have the 2 holes under the fire plate plugged? That stove will cook you out of the house but it also trades off heat for more pellets. Only so much economy can be had for a stove no matter what make.
Yes, both lower holes plugged. I believe stove may be operating correct, just lower btu than my previous coal stove. We had a 100k btu coal stove that only ran half throttle to heat home, guessing we need to run pellet stove on higher setting to get same heat. A 40lb bag of coal lasted 24hrs, guess I was wishful thinking, lol

Just so I am on the same page, no one is getting 22 hours or more on setting 4 or 5? Besides plugging holes, any other burn pot mods recommending? Thanks for all your help and have a Merry Christmas!

After blocking the two bottom holes with round magnets, I also closed off some of the wear plate holes to improve burn efficiency on my 25- pdv. If you look at the burn center on the wear plate, you'll see that you will get a circle of burning pellets in front of the auger tube, with ash all around it. I blocked off all of the wear plate holes around this circle with stove cement, to force more air up through the wear plate. You can use high temp foil tape underneath, to block the holes temporarily first. If you like the results, you can use the stove cement.

After blocking the two bottom holes with round magnets, I also closed off some of the wear plate holes to improve burn efficiency on my 25- pdv. If you look at the burn center on the wear plate, you'll see that you will get a circle of burning pellets in front of the auger tube, with ash all around it. I blocked off all of the wear plate holes around this circle with stove cement, to force more air up through the wear plate. You can use high temp foil tape underneath, to block the holes temporarily first. If you like the results, you can use the stove cement.
Thanks, I may just try that next time I shut stove off for cleaning

Reactions: Hot Foot
Thanks, I may just try that next time I shut stove off for cleaning

You're welcome. This mod helps to cut down on the amount of unburned pellets and creates a hotter fire at lower settings. Please let us know how you make out.;)

Last edited:
We had a 100k btu coal stove that only ran half throttle to heat home, guessing we need to run pellet stove on higher setting to get same heat.

Yes your 25pdv is around 42000-48000 btu half of the coal stove. And I’m pretty sure nobody gets 24 hrs on 40lb on 3 and up.

Reactions: ridgeracing
Here's the rest of the numbers if anyone is interested. Don't quite remember from whom I got them. 25PDV

setting 1 = 1.50 pounds
setting 2 = 1.94 pounds
setting 3 = 2.38 pounds
setting 4 = 2.82 pounds
setting 5 = 3.26 pounds
setting 6 = 3.70 pounds
setting 7 = 4.14 pounds
setting 8 = 4.58 pounds
setting 9 = 5.02 pounds

Reactions: ridgeracing
So are there any proven burn pot mods? Besides blocking lower holes. On #4 setting I am getting 2in of unburnt coals after 12 hr burn

You have any fabrication skills,tig/mig welder? do a search for burn pot mod.

Here's the rest of the numbers if anyone is interested. Don't quite remember from whom I got them. 25PDV

setting 1 = 1.50 pounds
setting 2 = 1.94 pounds
setting 3 = 2.38 pounds
setting 4 = 2.82 pounds
setting 5 = 3.26 pounds
setting 6 = 3.70 pounds
setting 7 = 4.14 pounds
setting 8 = 4.58 pounds
setting 9 = 5.02 pounds
That is about spot on as to what I am using on #4 setting, thanks