25-PDV "whining"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestonFire22

Dec 8, 2007
Weston, NE
Hi all, been lurking here for a while. I got a 25-PDV in November and have really been enjoying it. It has been running non-stop (minus cleanings of course) for over a month now and is has developed a nasty whine. It is coming from the exhause/combustion blower motor I believe. Are there any oiling spots for this motor or is is just a closed bearing system that can't be oiled? I don't want to pull it out to check the impeller because I don't have a new gasket for it yet and thought I would check on here to see if anyone has any other thoughts first.

Thanks
Bruce

I can't remember on an englander specifically, but many combustion blowers have two oil ports usually located on the top side of that actual motor housing. There should be two little rubber bushings that you pull out and add a few drops of 2n1 to each.

I have it shutting down now so I can get a better look, one more clue to the mystery, I took the side access plate/vent off and pointed a fan in there, thinking maybe it is too hot and the whining noise has considerably gone down. I will be opening up the cleanout as well to see if there is a lot of ash in there, maybe constricting the exhaust.

Bruce

Cleaned the chimney, it wasn't that bad and there are no oil ports on the motor, so out of luck there. Keeping the fan on it keeps it cool and it doesn't whine like when it gets hot. Hopefully one of the Englander guys has an idea.

Thanks
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.