25 PDVC auger turning too fast?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thumbster

Sep 6, 2018
Indiana
So after reading on here and doing some research for a pellet stove for my barn, I ended up getting a refurbished 25 PDVC from amfm last month. Tag on the back says it was made in 2017. So fairly new.

My problem is I think that at least my bottom auger is turning too fast. It appears to be turning at 1 3/4 rpms. I am also burning through about 40 pounds of pellets in 10-11 hours on Heat Range 2, Blower Speed 9. This was with my LFF on 5, LBA on 4 and AOT on 1. It’s in D mode.

If this is a problem I’d like to get it taken care of while still under warranty. I’m not sure how to check the rpms on the top auger.

After I used up the pellets that I had in the auger (I’ve only burned about 60 pounds so far) I went to close the restrictor plate a little but found that the bolt was stripped.

I have high hopes for this stove and want to get it running right.

Your running about right. You could drop down to 4 4 1 and that will slow down the feed a bit. The key it to get the burn correct.

Attachments

• 25 PDVC auger turning too fast?
    FF5AF6E4-E2E1-40E4-81BD-906CA1A0266D.png
    423.5 KB · Views: 314
My 1 year update....

I finally have my barn finished (mostly) and the stove is still working fine. I’ve only put about 30 bags of Somersets through it since getting it last year. I’ll use it a lot more this winter though as I will be in the barn a lot.

Had to replace the hopper lid switch a week ago. The top auger wasn’t turning. I jumped the switch and it started turning. Easy fix. New switch off eBay was about $10. Had minor stroke though thinking I was going to have to get a new circuit board.

I turned my LFF down to 2 and on Heat Range 2 (sometimes 1) I got 12 hrs and 40 minutes on my last bag of pellets. Hopper choke plate as closed off as I can make it.

I’m not really concerned about using that many pellets because if I had a 1 RPM auger motor I would probably be turning the stove up to Heat Range 5 or 6 to keep the barn warm anyway.

On Heat Range 3 my stove temp on the left side (as you’re looking at it) gets close to 500 degrees according to my temp gun.

A friend of mine bought a refurb PDVC last week and his bottom auger is 1.5 RPM’s so it must be a somewhat common practice to put in different speed motors.

Anyway, if you’re using more pellets than you think you should or if you live in a small house and this stove is burning you out of it you might check the RPM’s of your augers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pellet rick