25-pdvc hopper safety switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Senorb0ss

Feb 6, 2021
My 25-pdvc has a manufacturer date of 06/20. It's been installed for 2 weeks. The first week, it ran fine. I did not officially live here so I never got to start it up. Upon moving in, the top auger no longer feeds. I cleaned out the hopper and tested the auger by swapping lower and upper leads. It ran, so I know it works. Now, I finally got it to run on the normal leads, but upon closing the hopper door, it immediately stops. The leads are all where they should be according to the diagram. The stove lights but never leaves startup. I believe that's because it doesn't continue to feed pellets. The switch is plugged into the NO port, but the attachment is kind of bent down, I'm not sure if that's normal. I started up the pellet stove and held down the safety switch and there was no movement. I pressed the button a few times and I heard a small zap then the top auger started running. So I closed the lid and it stopped running. Do I ha e a bad switch all together? Or am I missing something? This is my first time ever having a pellet stove and I'm ready to chuck this thing out the window. It's still under warranty but that would mean we'd be without a source of heat (not like we currently have one) for at least a week or more. So I'm desperately trying to fix this myself.

It sounds like the hopper switch is bad. You can order your new one and temporarily jump the switch so you have heat. Unplug both wires from the switch to the harness then connect the harness ends together with a wire or paper clip then tape it up so it cant contact anything

Reactions: SidecarFlip
It sounds like the hopper switch is bad. You can order your new one and temporarily jump the switch so you have heat. Unplug both wires from the switch to the harness then connect the harness ends together with a wire or paper clip then tape it up so it cant contact anything
So I'd essentially be running the control board straight to the vacuum sensor?

Question about the hopper safety switch. I took it off the lid to check it and it rattles pretty bad. I'm gonna say that's not normal for a new switch, right?

Rattles like something inside is broken and I can hear it move in the plastic box. There isn't an easy way it seems to open it up, so I haven't.

No not normal at all. Yes you would be running your stove like thousands that never had the hopper switch. Personally i’not a fan of the switch on the englanders

Reactions: SidecarFlip
No not normal at all. Yes you would be running your stove like thousands that never had the hopper switch. Personally i’not a fan of the switch on the englanders
It works! Thank you so much for your suggestion. Gonna order a new one now.

I'm not a fan of hopper safety switches on ANY stove Sysko. I can see the need for one (after my wife almost lost a finger in my auger the other night)...lol But, the switch is really superfluous to operation. If I had one (don't), I'd jump it and forget about it.

Puts me in mind of tire pressure monitors on newer cars. Dislike them as well. When they get older and the internal battery poops out, you get the tire pressure warning light in you gauge cluster even though the tires are inflated properly and the only solution is dismount the tire and install an expensive replacement TPMS module and relearn the system. Totally worthless in my view.

Wife's van had one go about a month ago. Put the scanner on, found out which one it was but I still need to dismount the tire and replace the module. Of course you cannot extinguish the dash light because it's a LED and will last forever and it's in the printed circuit behind the dash. She keeps telling me the tire is low and I keep telling her to drive it and ignore it., :eek: