25-PDVC installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moey

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2012
Southern Maine
Thinking about buying a used Englander 25-PDVC and putting it on the other side of my house from my current stove. Have a couple questions on the venting whether its feasible.

The venting would go straight out from the back of the stove into the garage and then have a 8 ft run at 45 degrees then another 45 and out the garage wall. Is this wise?

Is it ok to have venting going through the garage to the outside?

How do you count the 45 degree run in a EVL calc? Its not horizontal but its not vertical.

You didn't say how long the horizontal pipe that goes from the stove through the wall into the garage is. Even without that included, your EVL is over 15....probably closer to 20. You need to increase to 4" pipe.

As far as the pipe being in the garage, there have been others that have done the same thing. AFAIR, as long as the pipe going through the wall into the garage is in a proper thimble, I don't think it's an issue.

Others will chime in on this if I'm off base.

I figured it would have to be 4 inch.

I would expect about 18-24 inches horizontal between the back of the stove and where it would make a 45 degree turn to head to the garage wall.

My concern I guess was the manual say max 4 ft horizontal well Id be over that max if 90 degree elbows were used rather then going up at a 45 degree angle. What does a 45 degree pitch count as?

If horizontal is 1' EVL and Vertical is 1/2' EVL? Then 45° might be 3/4' EVL?

Like you said, its not horizontal), so the 45° has to help some?

After the 8' 45° run? How much more horizontal will you have, after the last 45°?

well, a 45 elbow going upward is counted at 2.5 evl. If the 45 is horizontal, I'd guess it's more like 4 or 5.

Bottom line....you'll have to use 4" pipe. You also need to eliminate as much horizontal pipe as you possibly can....it becomes an ash trap very quickly and needs to be cleaned more often than vertical pipe.

well, a 45 elbow going upward is counted at 2.5 evl. If the 45 is horizontal, I'd guess it's more like 4 or 5.

Bottom line....you'll have to use 4" pipe. You also need to eliminate as much horizontal pipe as you possibly can....it becomes an ash trap very quickly and needs to be cleaned more often than vertical pipe.

Even a "Direct Vent" system, a 45° is listed as 2.5' (or 3'/ depending on what Manufacturer your looking at).

So a 2' horizontal, 45', 8' of 45° incline, 45°, and another 2-3' of horizontal would be 16'? Thats if the 45° incline EVL is correct? Which a rise is a rise and LOTS of woodburners are getting away from using 90°'s and using 2 45°'s. Lots of owners in the Hearth Room. It looks pretty neat to. Better draft and a different look. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.