25 PDVC - Making it QUIET?? (How to)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenstogie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2012
Albany (ish)
I have a 25PDVC and it works great but it's in the basement and the noise doesn't bug me. So I was thinking of putting one in the upstairs where I spend most of my time but it's just a little to noisy.

What are the best ways to make this awesome unit quiet??

Depends on the nature of the noise you have. A certain amount is unavoidable and has to do with the air flow that increases as you raise the heat level. If it is auger squeaking, generally scraping the carbon from the lower auger, aligning and powdered graphite are recommended. Singing from the combustion and convection blowers can be quieted for a while by putting light oil on the shafts and bearings. There are not oil hole provisions on the motors but oiling can be done without removing them by using a oil can with a spout and a pen light to see where the oil is going. Turn the shafts and move side to side to work the oil in. Sometimes the auger motor makes a bit of noise and oiling the shafts helps.

1. hammer the crimps on the combustion motor tight to get rid of the ra,ra,ra,ra,ra sound OR replace the whole blower assembly with something that simply runs quieter, such as an Enviro blower and housing, 2. Grease up the pivot bearings and cushion the auger motors on their shelf, 3. wrap the back of the stove under the hopper with fire wool, 4. lastly, keep your room blower speed lower.

I have a 25PDVC and it works great but it's in the basement and the noise doesn't bug me. So I was thinking of putting one in the upstairs where I spend most of my time but it's just a little to noisy.

What are the best ways to make this awesome unit quiet??

I just worked on an almost brand new 25-PDVC that had a noisy exhaust blower. If you put in a nice new high quality Enviro exhaust blower, then it will be much more quiet. They both put out 85 CFM and have the same bolt pattern so it is plug and play!

Might consider "upgrading" to a newer single auger top feed design stove like the EP. AMFM has them as refurb units for $1199 w/ free shipping and full factory warranty. I'm pretty sure it's quieter.
I have a 25 EP and it is NOISY!!!! Maybe my motors are worse for wear, but I wish I had a quieter stove. I guess i can't complain too much, my oil tank is still fat and happy.

I have a 25 EP and it is NOISY.......

Compared to???? I can't imagine the PDVC is quieter, since it also has the auger motor constantly running along w/ the other blowers.

Maybe some other EP owners will chime in. I just made a suggestion.......I've never seen an EP run in person.

The only thing i could compare it to is my friends Quadrafire Santa Fe and my brother's Breckwell P23. Both of them are whisper quiet. Like I said, I know it's a bit noisy, But for what I paid ( $1500 and it included a hearth pad, all piping and 2.5 tons of pellets) I really can't complain. I'll be sure to sell this stove soon and then by an Enviro or Quad.

Many great suggestions and all are quite valid.... I may be eyeing a new (refurb) pellet stove for upstairs so that's a possiblity.

One thing that will help significantly quiet down your 25PDVC is to wrap the support (L shaped bracket that is secured using the bottom 2 auger bolts) that is directly underneath the Auger motor in Silicone rubber tape. What I used is the same stuff that I used to seal up my leaky Duravent pipe....

Self-Fusing Silicone Rubber Tape (the cheapest place I found was zorotools) As a general rule I use stuff that is rated for High temps. (392 Degrees F for Continuous Use, 500 Degrees F for Intermittent Use is what the stuff I used is rated for and is probably overkill but why fix it twice) Just wrap it around that L-Shaped bracket and is sucks up the vibration that reverberates throughout the unit.
http://www.zorotools.com/g/Self-Fusing Silicone Tape/00063233/ You can find the stuff also on ebay and Amazon and HD. Lowes and Truevalue and dang near everywhere.

I first used the Lytherm Gasket material and it worked well but wore through eventually so don't bother with it.

Reactions: Don2222
I think my EP is quieter than my old pdvc.....slightly......I think it might have to do with the different heat exchanger.....It's pretty quiet if the room blower isn't on the upper settings......

Status
Not open for further replies.