25 PDVC -- Pellets that I've tested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CladMaster

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2012
Maine
OK, default settings....

Heat Mode - 'd'
The three lower buttons -- 6-4-1
Heat Range - 2
Room Air Blower - 4

MWP

mwp-jpg.83171
My stove did not like these, they did not burn hot, and left a black sooty residue on the back plate of the stove. Ash -- lots of fly ash. These would not heat the stove above 310F on my test settings.

Maine's Choice

maineschoice-jpg.83172
Now these my stove loves, they give off lots of heat, these get the stove up to about 350F with the settings that are shown at the top of this thread. These are one of the better pellets that burn well in my 25 PDVC. There is a small amount of ash build-up, but I can live with that.

Greene Team Platinum

greeneteamplat-jpg.83179
These again are on par with Maine's Choice pellets, they get the stove up to around 350F. These also have a small amount of ash build up, but they also produce the odd clinker in the burn pot. They burn well with a white flame.

Green Supreme

greens-jpg.83180
These burn well, but they also make the glass door black in the top right corner. They produce good heat, got 320F from these. They do have a high ash build-up.

Pennington -- Nature's Heat

naturesheat-jpg.83183
These are on par with Maine's Choice pellets, they produce just a little more heat at around the 355F mark, and burn clean with a medium amount of ash build-up.

With the exception of MWP, these pellets listed above can heat my ground level (750 sqf) at around 72 - 76F with the settings listed at the top of this thread. The upstairs level of the house can be anywhere between 65 - 70F.

These pellets came from

Walmart
Home Depot
Lowes

The price varied from $3.94 to $5.00 per bag, the Pennington pellets costing the most @ $5.00 a bag.

Attachments

• mwp.jpg
    mwp.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 939
  • maineschoice.jpg
    maineschoice.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 966
  • greeneteamplat.jpg
    greeneteamplat.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,087
  • greenS.jpg
    greenS.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2,267
  • naturesheat.jpg
    naturesheat.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,399
When you are stating the stove temp @ x, what are you measuring? discharge air, exhaust?

Thank you for your time and info Clad. Every little bit helps :)

Very nice. I've burned 2 bags of green supreme, 2 bags of Team Green, I'll give Maine's Choice next week.

I've bought 5 bags of Maine's Choice after burning 1 full bag I'm disappointed. It leaves a lot of ash in the burn pot it does not heat my basement as hot as Team Greene. I've also tried 2 bags of New England pellets those seem to be better than Maine's Choice vs ash and heat. I'm going back to Team Greene it burns hotter and very little ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.