25-PDVC Refub Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 17, 2013
Potsdam, NY
I have an Englander 25-PDVC I picked up used a couple years ago to heat my shop. It shares a wall with conditioned space and I typically just use it to keep it above freezing, so I haven't asked much of it, but it has a few issues.

I'm finally getting around to opening it up and fixing it up. When I bought it I was told the igniter didn't work. Pulled it out and cleaning it up, turn the stove on and low and behold it got hot. The igniter hole in the burn pot could have been cleaner, but wasn't too bad. I thought maybe it wasn't adjusted properly and wasn't sticking far enough into the burn pot, but the diameter of the hole is smaller than the igniter. I lined it up with the hole best I could and tightened it down, is there anymore than needs to happen here?

The room air blower hadn't worked since I bought it, so I removed it and saw that the squirrel cage was packed completely full. Cleaned it out, plugged it into the wires for the combustion blower, turned on the stove and it blow strong. However, both this motor and the identical combustion blower motor make a fair amount of bearing noise. The motors don't appear to have oil ports best I can tell. Are these serviceable or would I need to replace completely? If they do need to be replaced are there any good low cost replacements? It'd be nice to cut the noise and have piece of mind that the bearings won't fail, but considering its in a wood shop the reduced noise isn't worth the $200+ it'd cost to replace the two motors.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
the igniter doesnt need to touch the pellets. it lives inside the hole. the superheated air that is sucked past the ignitor and out of the hole is what heats the pellets. so the igniter should be positioned so that air can flow past it.

as far as the motors. once the bearing is shot oil wont help. You could if you had a lot of time and patience remove the old bearings and press on new ones. i wouldnt bother. The motors last a long time when you keep the fans clean. My pdvc is from 2006 and still using the original combustion and room air blowers. i should note my stove runs full time during the winter, only being shut off for 30 minutes each weekend for a cleaning.

as long as no metal is warped or split on the stove from not having a room air blower, the investment in new motors is worth it.

Reactions: h2ochild