Farmskis Posted By Farmskis, Nov 24, 2017 at 7:36 PM

1. Farmskis

Farmskis
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    Maine
    I have cleaned out the top auger several times. Little bit of sawdust but nothing major that I would think is clogging it. I notice the auger motor tries to turn but just does not turn the auger, like it is not powerful enough. Never had this problem until this year. What do you think it could be? Could the motor just be getting weak? Any adjustments I could do to help it, like adjusting the plate in the hopper? Any way to test the motor? Using okenaga sp? pellets this year. They seem maybe a little longer than what I used last year.

2. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    I would pull the auger and check the bearing.Don has fixed lots of these so will leave you the info link.If all is good,motor is probably getting weak.https://www.eastcoasthearth.com/blogs/pellet-stove-parts-augers-and-auger-motors/18032032-greasing-the-auger-bearing-on-25-pdvc-25-pdv

3. Farmskis

Farmskis
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    Maine
    Thanks for your reply. I know the bearings are greased and the auger is aligned the best I could get it. It had one slightly sticky spot when turning by hand but nothing major. I'm betting it is the motor that is getting weak. Not sure on how the stove was maintained since it came with the home. But based on other things around the house and how dirty the stove was when I cleaned it I would bet maintenance was not high on the priority.

bob bare likes this.
  4. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    They are not TOP of the line motors,and many a weak motor has baffled stove repair techs.

5. Farmskis

Farmskis
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    Maine
    The motors from the stove repair you linked to.. are those reputable motors? I believe I went to the owner of that sites shop last year to pick up an auger for my 6041. Very knowledgeable man on stove repair. I would definitely not hesitate to give him some more business.

6. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    Don is a member here,he fixes pellet stoves for a living,he has become very knowledgeable,and stands behind his parts.He would not use poor parts.Might cost a little more,but you can call him for advice almost anytime.

7. Farmskis

Farmskis
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    Maine
    Update**
    I have replaced the motor and made sure bearings are greased. Everything runs fine for about 4 bags then the top auger clogs. I did run some other pellets that where much shorter than the current ones. Seemed to have no issues with those 3 bags. Is there any adjustments I can make to help feed the longer pellets? Could this even be the issue?

8. jjones139

jjones139
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 9, 2013
    Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Depending on the year of your PDVC you should have a restrictor plate at the bottom of the hopper. If so then slide the plate to make the opening larger.