The2stovehouse Posted By The2stovehouse, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:10 AM

1. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    alright here I go. I just recently tuned up my 25PDVC pellet stove! New gaskets all the way around done the dollar bill test and zero issues. I am burning somerset pellets. My stove is having issues not burning all the fuel. I am getting big piles of un-burnt fuel. I have adjusted my stove to 6-4-1 and I am on the d setting. Any help would be appreciated. I am winding up with a dirty burn. Need some suggestions. Thanks from small town Ohio.

2. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Drop it to 4-4-1 and plug the holes under the burn plate on both sides

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    What Ssyko said plus plug a few of the holes in the burn plate around the parimeter. I even inlarged a few of the holes in the center slightly. Did you change pellet brands ? Is this a new issue?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    No I just started using this brand this year. I decided to go with the somersets after a lot of research. I just started having the issue since I tuned everything up. Mind you that I bought the stove used and never checked the gaskets until this year and to my surprise there where 3 gaskets totally missing. So just trying to figure it all out.

5. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    I will try this and see what transpires.

6. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    I am not familiar with summersets but I will tell you that my PDV only like soft wood pellets. Mainly Easy Blaze. Hard Wood I get a ton of ash.

7. jp57

jp57
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 4, 2011
    Loc:
    Moore Twsp., Pa
  8. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    yes but I believe that the one side is slightly smaller . But it has been awhile. Maybe Ssyko will chime in.

9. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    My pdvc were both 1/2” plugs. I know some of the newer stoves were slightly different but only the impingement plate. Wouldn’t hurt to measure to be sure

Pellet rick likes this.
  10. jp57

jp57
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 4, 2011
    Loc:
    Moore Twsp., Pa
    Cool...thanks. I also just wanted to make sure that I got the plugs that we made from the correct material...don't want anything melting. LOL

11. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    Na , your good. There the same brand that I have been using for the past few years with no issues. Besides it really doesn't get extremely hot below the plate compared to above the plate.

12. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Should we assume you are running your stove on 1-1?

If you are running on 1-1, this should slow down your pellet feed rate.

Bill

Ssyko likes this.
  13. Rneal55555

Rneal55555
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2014
    Loc:
    Milton, NH
    The plugs in mine were 5/8" both side.

14. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Okay okay okay, I am beginning to dislike pellet stoves. Can some one tell me about combustion blowers on exhaust. I am get a very sluggish burn and changed settings and nothing changes. So the question I have is my combustion fan is turning but I don’t think there is enough pull that is required to get the negative draft needed to burn the stove properly. Does this make sense to anyone else?

15. Pellet rick

Pellet rick
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2015
    Loc:
    Pottstown PA.
    What heat settings are you running on? On the Englander stoves the lower 3 buttons only change fuel and air and temp off on settings 1+2 . Anything above the stove is basically automatic. That is why we play with the lower holes and plate holes. And it is extremely important to have a clean stove and unrestricted exhaust.

16. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    I clean the stove everyday. To include back behind the firewall clean my T out every week. I have tried all different types of settings been all the way through the heat range from 1 to 9 and my air from 1 to 9 as well. I have two of the exact same stoves and clean both the same way. The one that I am having trouble with just started. I was not having any issues with it until the other day. My lower three buttons have been on 6 4 1 and I have messed around with the air and fuel to see if that would change anything still no affect. I’ve had a lazy tall flame and black soot covering my glass in a matter of two hours. I’ve talked to Bill at Englander and he said with the burn pot I have plugging the two bottom holes wouldn’t do anything for me. So the only reason I can put it together is the combustion fan is not running the way it should. Any assistance would be appreciated.

17. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Ok when you have it running what are the heat settings the stove is on? Not the bottom 3. Of course they dont want you to mod it! Quite a few ppl that frequent Hearth. Com have and still run thier stoves more efficiently than oem design. Clean the burn plate off. Put the stove on heat 3 fan 9 and let it run for 2 hrs. Then post a picture of the flame and the burn plate loaded we can go from there.

18. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    6C74A26B-101A-43DB-A5DC-16F4406004EC.jpeg 64865D76-6FB2-4D3F-8E19-0AB3CE8BA505.jpeg 459B06BC-099D-4380-8675-CDF5C7DA05EF.jpeg 6C74A26B-101A-43DB-A5DC-16F4406004EC.jpeg 64865D76-6FB2-4D3F-8E19-0AB3CE8BA505.jpeg 459B06BC-099D-4380-8675-CDF5C7DA05EF.jpeg Here is the prelude. Stove is cleaned again. Also I have included a video just a sound bite of the combustion fan, it gradually gets quieter the longer it runs but still makes that noise.

Attached Files:

19. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    A half hour in this what I got firebox is rolling smoke and here is the flame I will try to post continuous photos that way you all can see the timeline of what takes place

Attached Files:

20. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Was that on Heat 3 and fan 9?

21. bill3rail

bill3rail
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Have you replaced your auger motors at any time?
    If yes, what brand and model did you use? I am thinking you may have a faster auger than designed, (2RPM versus 1RPM).

BIll

P.S. I would suggest getting a non flammable pad under the stove as it is looks like plywood underneath.

22. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Yes the heat is on three and fan on 9

23. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    I bought the stove used so I am not sure what’s been replaced or wasn’t has been replaced. Up until a few days ago I’ve never had this issue.

That pad underneath is a cement board stained and stamped.

24. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Here is a hour in box is full already and not burning healthy at all.

Attached Files:

25. The2stovehouse

The2stovehouse
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Wednesday
    Loc:
    Ohio