3" or 4"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bumper1990

Aug 24, 2017
Ok so I got a vogelzang 5790 pellet stove to try and heat my home with i plan on putting in the basement unfortunately I only have 1 spot I can put it so I'm going to have to run a 90 then 4' of straight to a 90° then a foot outside and here's where my problem lies I'm putting it through a basement hopper window (taking it out and putting in the through wall bracket if course" but if I just run it straight i will be about 9inches off the ground is that no good? Just stone underneath or i can put a water trap there or should I run it out and up then have the exhaust in witch case I would think I'd need a 4" pipe correct? seeing as how I'll be over 15evl? I can't find where it says how high it should be off the ground I'm just basically looking for help and the best way safest way to run it

Your owners/install manual is GOSPEL. It HAS your answers:

Q1)
The maximum recommend vertical venting height is 12-feet for 3-inch
type "PL" vent.

Q2)
VENT TERMINATION CLEARANCES:
A)
Minimum 4-foot (1.22m) clearance below or beside any door or window that opens.
B)
Minimum 1-foot (0.3m) clearance above any door or window that opens.
C)
Minimum 3-foot (0.91m) clearance from any adjacent building.
D)
Minimum 7-foot (2.13m) clearance from any grade when adjacent to public walkways.
E)
Minimum 2-foot (0.61m) clearance above any grass, plants, or other combustible materials.
F)
Minimum 3-foot (0.91m) clearance from an forced air intake of any appliance.
G)
Minimum 2-foot (0.61m) clearance below eves or overhang.
H)
Minimum 1-foot (0.3m) clearance horizontally from combustible wall.
I)
Must be a minimum of 3 foot (0.91m) above the roof and 2 foot (0.61m) above the highest point or the roof within
10 feet (3.05m)