372xp oiling issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sAdam

Feb 25, 2017
White rock
k, so embarrasing. Brand new saw maybe 4 hours on it.

Oil oozing out between clutch cover and case. Not oiling bar sufficiently to throw oil on a clean surface per the manual.

Used to be fine. Have sharpened chain once before, tensioned probably twice, had cover off to replace spike bumpers, no issues on reassembly. Suddenly on last sharpening, this issue occurred.

I have run the saw with bar off. Oil seems to be flowing correctly.

Ran with just bar in place clamped on with spacers, no chain. Seems to be flowing properly through bar into chain groove.

I’m at a loss.
I assume something is obstructing the cover, preventing proper clamping of the bar to the oil channel on the case, but damned if I can see it.
Save me from taking it in to the shop and looking like a total a$$hole.

I had something like that happen once. The oil holes were open, but the little channel leading from the oil hole to the bar grove was plugged on one side of the bar. When I had the bar on one way it was fine, the other way not. I cleaned the oil channel out with a small wire and it was fine.

Check the oiler tube and make sure it is seated in its little groove and not oriented incorrectly.

Make sure there's no crud obstructing the bar from sitting flat on the saw. Make sure there's no crud inside the bar's oil hole.

Flip the bar and see what happens.

If the saw has only four hours on it isn't the saw still covered by the factory warranty, why screw around trying to repair a problem that could be fixed for free. I had to bring a new saw in for a carburetor adjustment after three hours of use, why be concerned with what somebody else thinks?

Do you have the piston/bar groove tool? One side of that can be used to clean deeply into chain groove on the bar. You would be amazed at how much crud and buildup can get in there.

Brand new just drop it off at the dealer. By the time your back from lunch it should be ready to roll.

thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to mess with it again. i'll update on what the fix is whether I end up bringing it to the shop or not. nothing more annoying on a forum than where a guy asks a stupid question then disappears.

re the bar cleaning suggestions: I had the bar only attached with stacks of washers as spacers. no chain. no clutch cover. oil was flowing properly from the oil hole in the bar to the bar groove. no leakage around the bar.