41' Chimney - FPX 44?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukonjack3d

Feb 9, 2014
Dallas, TX
I've been doing a lot of research and much searching on this site (best info on the net).

The FPX 44 manual lists the max height of the chimney as 35'. My local dealer thinks it may work with my chimney but I want some other opinions. Pertinent info:
- Straight chimney in center of house, Desa 12-8
- 41' is measured from the hearth to the rain cap
- Live in Dallas area as far as weather/altitude is concerned

The other factor is the closest access to air for the cooling vents is the attic, which is a 15' vertical run. This is also outside the max of the manual of 10'. The 15' would be a straight vertical run with about a 6" horizontal 90* at the top.

If the dealer went ahead with this instal, would my potential problem be overdraft? Or, would I be looking at a fire hazard?

My chimney size, etc would seem to work with the RSF Opel, which is a good option. However, I would really like to go with the FPX 44 due to using the existing chimney if possible.

I don't think you will be able to use your existing chimney. The FPX uses its own chimney made by dura-vent. Do you know if the FPX is approved for your chimney?

The FPX 44 manual says it will work with the following chimneys:
- Simpson Duravent 8” x 12”
- Temco 82
- Firecraft FTF8 (Superior TF8)
- Marco 8D
- FMI 8DM

I thought the Desa 12-8 is the same as the FMI 8DM?

I don't know. I've only installed FPX's with the dura-vent. 41' is a monster chimney! Combine that with cooling vents that exceed the specs and I think you might be asking for trouble. It may work ok, but if it doesn't dont expect Travis Ind. to do too much for you. They put these limits in the manual for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.