42 Years Ago Today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
I was a PFC, Stationed at Ft. Dix in Advanced Individual Training (AIT) for Radio Operator, MOS 05B20. I was first in my class to get thru Morse Code training & had just taken the final. I figured I'd catch a bus up to New York & fly home for the weekend. A buddy of mine, who also lived in the Capital District (NY) & had an old VW Bug at Dix, was in AIT with me, said, "Why don't you head over to the EM Club & have a couple of beers? When I'm done around 1600, you can catch a ride with me & save the airfare." I waffled for a bit & since a PFC in 1972 made about $300 a MONTH, I agreed. Drank for about 3 hours & he came & got me & off we went on a 220 mile ride home. I was feeling little pain & promptly fell asleep. Woke up coming into Albany & he said, "You'd better call your Mom. That Mohawk Airlines flight you were gonna take crashed in Albany. There were fatalities." I had told my Mom I'd be on that flight & never called with the change of plans. By the time I got ahold of her she was a mess, but needless to say, quite relieved. 16 of the 45 passengers died in that crash. Every year, when the local news commentators bring it up, I wonder if I would have been in one of the "lucky" seats...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_Airlines_Flight_405

I wonder if I would have been in one of the "lucky" seats...
You were in the luckiest seat there was that day.
Also
Thank you for serving for us.

Reactions: DAKSY
I think I better go out and have a few right now... You know, just in case...

It took several beers to make a very long trip in Winter in the old VWs.

Wow, that is quite a tale. Glad you made it home.

Had an EMT friend that worked that crash, he said that the carnage in the fuselage was horrible. The pilot almost made it to the playing fields.

Yeah, I used to work with a guy who also responded as an EMT. The plane went thru the first floor of the home & was stopped by the basement wall. Cockpit crew never had a chance. I believe the captain was posthumously honored for dumping most of his fuel prior to the crash. Those in the cabin either lost their lives from the weight of the two story house crushing the cabin, or from directly from the impact.
The responder went into details that I won't repeat. Carnage is an appropriate description, tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.