50/50 corn pellet mix in an Englander PDV..??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaudeen

Dec 7, 2014
Belleville, Ontario CAN
Anyone have experience burning corn/pellet mix in an Englander 25 PDV..??

I have corn growers all around me..so...good idea or not ?

I have a 3 ft duravent straight out the wall.

Corn requires generally different air settings and has a tendency to slag when you burn it compared to pellets. If the stove isn't set up for corn usually you end up with problems. You can always buy a bag of corn and give it a shot.

Funny thing is that I see them hauling corn early winter, but never thought of burning it..I don't even know where to purchase it. The kid next door works for a farmer just up the road so I'll get him to grab me a bag to see how it burns in my stove.

The pellet dealers around here are getting pretty high on their horse this time of the year.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone with this stove has/is burning a corn mix. THANX

Yes,I have burned a mix of corn and pellets in that stove, actually two of them that I use in my garages.At times the mixture has probably been more than 50% corn. The corn has to be dry, less than 15% moisture, and the cleaner the better. It burns fine with good heat output and just a little more cleaning of the burn pot. The only problem I could see having is at start up, if you still use the auto ignition, would probably have to throw a cup of pellets in the pot as I don't think the igniter would light it.My igniters have been out for years so I don't have that problem.

Thanks bmwon723..for the green light. I'll source out some corn this week and give it a shot. 6 years ago I made a call to Englander tech support with the corn burning question and was told it was a bad idea. Thanks to this forum, I have learned how to fine tune my stove for different pellets to get the most heat out of them. Don't think corn burn will be too difficult to dial in and I always throw a handful of pellets in during start-up and not running a thermostat.

If your Englander is a bottom feeder (pusher), corn won't work very well, esepecially of you can't custom regulate the combustion air. Corn requires more combustion air than pellets and preferrably a drop pot or a carpet style like a Harman.

Years ago I had an England and got rid of it just because it's not a multifuel rated unit.

The corn is going somewhere. You need to follow a load. I bet it's going to an elevator somewhere nearby. Thats where you want to buy it, not from the grower. You want 'pre-cleaned for feed' corn, not out of the field corn. Field corn has way too much trash in it to burn without lots of grief.

Just read all the corn burning threads and think I'm going on the hunt for an Englander 10-CPM multi. Good Pick..??

Status
Not open for further replies.