6L Ford diesel yeah or nay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
lukem said:
Whatever you do, don't get a naturally aspirated powerstroke, or anything GM pre-Duramax. I used to drive nat-asp powerstroke and it was a complete dog.

They weren't called powerstrokes until about 1996 when the 7.3s became direct injected and turbo equipped. Prior to that the old 6.9/7.3 was an indirect injected engine with a regular old tractor style injection pump. It was gutless by any standards and mpg was not very good really, the only manual was a 4 speed. They sounded gurgly too and smoked. For a year or two before the powerstroke the 7.3 diesel IDI (indirect injection) did have a turbo added on to it but it was still way behind the powerstroke that came later. Banks made a turbo kit for the older non-turbo ford diesels. Parts are cheap and the old ford diesels are actually fairly dependable and easy to work on. As you know, until the 2011 model year, ford diesels are actually made by international/navistar.

The chevy pickup diesels before the dmax were made by detroit diesel. The newer duramax is made by isuzu. I believe that they still make and use the 6.5 turbo diesels in the military humvees so parts availability will be good. A similar thing to the ford happened where the old original 6.2 was IDI and non-turbo with a simple injection pump and very low power, cheap parts, and easy to work on. The newer 6.5 turbo never really became powerful, dependable, or good and was completely dropped in GMs civilian market for the dmax in the early 2000s.

Now the cummins. Well, they always had it figured out. Much better direct injected engine from the start that was capable of plenty of power but detuned to try and prevent blowing up the dodge trucks of the era. Even the original early 90s cummins 12-valve engines are still sought after and used for conversions, they were always far superior to the dodge truck. Dodge would not be here today if they hadn't chosen cummins for their diesel.

My friend has a 12v swapped into a F350. It is the best of both worlds.

Good summary by Highbeam.

The Duramax was developed in a joint venture with Isuzu, but I think it's made by GM now. The early Duramax's (2001-2002) had some injector problems, so be aware of that. Most have been replaced under warranty by now, but it's an expensive job that you want no part of.

Another thing to consider in an older diesel truck purchase is the transmission. If you are buying an automatic, Dodge, and to a lesser extent Ford, have had some problems with their transmission handling the power of the diesel engine. The Allison in the post 2001 Duramaxs has been a very good transmission with few problems. If you looking for a manual they're all good, but I don't think GM even offers it anymore.

Too bad Caterpillar never got into the pickup diesel business. I've spent a lot of time driving everybody's engines, and was always happiest with a 3406.

Did the VT365 have all the same problems as the Ford 6.0 version, or were these Ford specific problems? Seems like a lot of the issues were egr related, so I guess emissions systems were probably different on the medium duty version in International trucks?

I have a 2005 S/C- 55,000 mi- I've heard the stories but I'm happy with it, only problem was rodent damage to a wiring harness.

KodiakII said:
They don't call it the "sick litre" for nothing.

Sick Leaker is the correct spelling LOL

I like the truck but the motor removes it from consideration.

How about a Cummins Dodge truck? I have a 91 diesel and I just don't know why people complain about the body on the Dodges. My 12valve's body is in perfect condition and the sheetmetal is THICK. You can find 2wd 89-93 D250 trucks for around 5-6K in real nice condition.

NoPaint said:
How about a Cummins Dodge truck? I have a 91 diesel and I just don't know why people complain about the body on the Dodges. My 12valve's body is in perfect condition and the sheetmetal is THICK. You can find 2wd 89-93 D250 trucks for around 5-6K in real nice condition.

I know lots of people with 89-93 Dodge/Cummins trucks. Every single one of them has body issues - leaking cabs, loose/drooping doors, sh_tty paint, cancer, etc. The engine and running gear are top of the line which is the only reason they weren't replaced years ago.

Bigg_Redd said:
NoPaint said:

I know lots of people with 89-93 Dodge/Cummins trucks. Every single one of them has body issues - leaking cabs, loose/drooping doors, sh_tty paint, cancer, etc. The engine and running gear are top of the line which is the only reason they weren't replaced years ago.

Oh well they are 20 year old trucks. I had my cab resealed, driver door replaced and rebushed, cab painted, and there was no rust or rot anywhere on the truck so I was immune to that. At the end of the day I have less into my Cummins 3/4 ton than I would had I bought a newer F150 or comperable 1/2 ton but instead I have a nice heavy duty 3/4 ton with a Cummins. I would suggest anyone looking for a good truck to consider spending more on an 89-93 than less on a newer truck (if they can have a little work done here and there if it hasn't been painted and restored).

Go newer than that. The later Dodges had intercoolers and then all the way up to 2007 on Dodge used that wonderful 5.9.

Many people do not know the Cummins is a straight six inline engine.

The high pressure common rail Cummins came out in 2003. Probably the best Dodge Cummins year is 2004.5 and 2005. I have a 2004.

Once the high pressure common rail and heavy electronics came out, all three brands were able to be modified pretty easily with programmers and plug in boxes. You could expect up to 100 hp gains with just a box. Show me that with a gasser!

My 04 was the last year they built the 5.9 without requiring a CAT and EGR so I didn't have to remove anything. Stock my truck was 305hp 555tq
I added bigger injectors (F1), bigger turbo (HighTech), head studs(ARP) , built trans (Goerend), BD performance flex plate.
I run a Smarty Programmer and a TST PowerMaxCR
Dynos 540hp 1036tq
Not too shabby for a little old six cylinder.

Dodge has really done a great job with the rest of the truck bringing it up to the competition. But neither Dodge nor GM has competed properly with the SuperDuty. That is simply a bigger truck that stands on it's own. Too bad they can't get their act together with the diesel.

I really do like the Cummins though... good old straight six industrial diesel.

I've owned the following diesels..
1993 Chevy 6.5TD
1997 Chevy 6.5TD
2001 GMC Duramax
2004 Dodge Cummins

Highbeam you might know me as hoot.

NoPaint said:
Bigg_Redd said:
NoPaint said:

Oh well they are 20 year old trucks. I had my cab resealed, driver door replaced and rebushed, cab painted, and there was no rust or rot anywhere on the truck so I was immune to that. At the end of the day I have less into my Cummins 3/4 ton than I would had I bought a newer F150 or comperable 1/2 ton but instead I have a nice heavy duty 3/4 ton with a Cummins. I would suggest anyone looking for a good truck to consider spending more on an 89-93 than less on a newer truck (if they can have a little work done here and there if it hasn't been painted and restored).

Sure, they are now, but they were falling apart 10 years ago. Also, the Fords of that era are in far better condition. Just sayin'

woodmiser said:
Dodge has really done a great job with the rest of the truck bringing it up to the competition. But neither Dodge nor GM has competed properly with the SuperDuty. That is simply a bigger truck that stands on it's own. Too bad they can't get their act together with the diesel.

A truck without an engine is a driveway ornament, Bullet-proof chassis or not. Or at best a 50K money-pit.....

My work has (2) '06 F450's crewcabs with the 6.0, and the owners each have '06 F350 Superduty crewcabs, fully loaded, 4x4.
We also have (2) '00 Dodge dually flatbeds with the Cummins straight six.

The Fords have been nothing but trouble. At least one of the Fords is broke down at all times. Injectors, fuel tank linings, power steering, flywheel, and then some.
They all are in the 60-100k mile range.

With 170K miles on them, the Dodges on the other hand haven't had a single mechanical problem to date. Maybe a battery or alternator and that's it. The Dodges were bought new just as the Fords were.
We were talking about this yesterday actually; about switching truck brands all together.

They circled the problem LOL
Ford+Emblem.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.