$755.00 bill to heat my house this winter....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author="Wet1" date="1237219892
I will mention the size of the house/living area and the layout can have a lot to do with how successful a pellets stove (or any space heater for that matter) will be at independently heating that area. In some applications a single space heater can heat everything and the temperature variation throughout can be minimal, for other homes they might not work very well at all as the only source of heat.

Fuel pricing obviously has a lot to do with how much some might save. [/quote]

right on, totally agree

4 tons of pellets for me this winter with only 10 bags remaining and the furnace never came on once. It was freeakin cold up here this winter (still is for march).
My dillema now is that I want to buy a new pellet stove and take my existing one to the cottage, however the price of pellets has gone from 4.99/bag to 6.50/bag, hopefully they will come down again.

BURN2BURN said:
4 tons of pellets for me this winter with only 10 bags remaining and the furnace never came on once. It was freeakin cold up here this winter (still is for march).
My dillema now is that I want to buy a new pellet stove and take my existing one to the cottage, however the price of pellets has gone from 4.99/bag to 6.50/bag, hopefully they will come down again.

Using the sites calculator even at $5.00 a bag you would have been just slightly ahead with oil at it`s present price of $1.87 a gal. (that`s in my area) Of course that`s the BTU comparison.

absolutely......of course, if ya buy your pellets for next season, which EVERYONE does, really, for a true comparison, one would have to guess what the price of oil will be next fall/winter....or, you lock in now with the oil prices!

Gio said:
BURN2BURN said:

Using the sites calculator even at $5.00 a bag you would have been just slightly ahead with oil at it`s present price of $1.87 a gal. (that`s in my area) Of course that`s the BTU comparison.
I don't use a pellet stove to offset cost of heating, well not directly. We have a very large walk out basement that never got used in the winter because we had to really crank the heat up to get it comfortable enough to sit in, and then it was way too hot upstairs. I could have went gas I suppose but having a pellet stove before just seemed more familiar for me.

Lousyweather said:
absolutely......of course, if ya buy your pellets for next season, which EVERYONE does, really, for a true comparison, one would have to guess what the price of oil will be next fall/winter....or, you lock in now with the oil prices!

I`m probably gonna buy another ton of pellets this spring to add to my existing supply anyway , if only for insurance against an oil price jump.
I have a few acquaintences who locked in their oil last year at $4.29 a gal. They got the short end of that stick.

I heated my house so far for a very similar price as kooser. I am at the approx. 600 range.

See my new post on my early buy offer...

As a current wood burner looking to add another stove to my home, I have found that the only folks that stand to lose with pellets are those with NG service, a central heating system that uses oil or a heat pump, or woodstove guys. If you heat with standard electric resistance heat (me), or propane, no coal, no NG, no oil furnace, then the pellet fuel is very attractive. I propose that buying and heating with a pellet stove at a slight loss over oil is a wise choice given the enormous swings in oil prices. Yes pellets have gone from say 200 to 300 dollars per ton in some areas over the last few years but oil went to nearly 5$ last year and back to a bargain price well under 2$ right now. I would not be basing heating decisions on the current low cost of oil.

Very true Highbeam.

Highbeam said:
As a current wood burner looking to add another stove to my home, I have found that the only folks that stand to lose with pellets are those with NG service, a central heating system that uses oil or a heat pump, or woodstove guys. If you heat with standard electric resistance heat (me), or propane, no coal, no NG, no oil furnace, then the pellet fuel is very attractive. I propose that buying and heating with a pellet stove at a slight loss over oil is a wise choice given the enormous swings in oil prices. Yes pellets have gone from say 200 to 300 dollars per ton in some areas over the last few years but oil went to nearly 5$ last year and back to a bargain price well under 2$ right now. I would not be basing heating decisions on the current low cost of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.