8in Chimney with 6in Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello All,
Im new here, just found this site today. Here is my problem. I have a 8in metal double wall chimney, that was in the house when I bought it 3 years ago with VC and a 6in flue . I replaced the old VC with new Lopi Liberty. The new liberty has a 6in flue. So far no problems, I have been running this stove 24/7. I have never turned on the gas yet! Here are my questions. Would the stove be more efficanet with a 6in chimney and if so could I run a liner down it instand of a new chimney?

Thanks again Frank

does the stove "draft" fine ? no over draft or over firing of the stove ? Is there any problems that you know of with this set up ?

I don't think you'd see a tremendous efficiency increase. You'll more than likely have more soot build up since your flue gasses have to heat more square inches per foot but as long as the unit operates properly and has been inspected by a chimney sweep it would probably be ok. Also be aware that an 8" liner is almost twice the cross sectional area of a 6" liner.

I don't know if there is any over draft I know i don't over fire it, I keep the stove surface with in 500 to 575 the chimney temp is no more then 400 to 475. I cut and split my own wood thats real DRY. I burn HOT and only choke it down when I go to bed. Frank

fespo said:
I don't know if there is any over draft I know i don't over fire it, I keep the stove surface with in 500 to 575 the chimney temp is no more then 400 to 475. I cut and split my own wood thats real DRY. I burn HOT and only choke it down when I go to bed. Frank
If you can control the fire and can turn it down at night with now problem there should be no issue there .

if it runs fine, then there is probably no reason to mess with it. However, if it ever came to an inspection and your stove was not listed to run into an 8 inch flue I suppose they could give you hell for it. But i'm not 100% sure.

elk?

Code wise its only 2 size increase and just about double the area which is ok If you can run it where you are 550 600 degrees without full open air Then it is doing what is susposed do. Most of the problems mentioned here are direct connects in 8/12 of 12/12
mansory flues. Yours has a smooth surface inside actually the corrugated liner could reduce your existing draft. stay with what you have If it ain't broKen don't fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.