A couple new knives from the forge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
Darren2.JPG
Ron2.JPG
DnR.JPG
Finally got back into the shop for a little pounding of some steel. I went bear hunting in Manitoba last month and the camp owner wanted a damascus knife made with moose scales from a moose he shot. I did not shoot a bear but it was not the guides or bears fault - they cooperated well as I had bears all around me every evening - certainly close enough for a shot with my longbow. I just did not see the bear I wanted so I was able to be entertained for hours having bears playing below my stand. I will be back there next spring because these guys just did a great, great job. Anyway - my guide, Darren Shipp was great so I was inspired to send him this skinner with micarta scales as a token of apreciation and the moose scaled hunter is for the owner, Ron Dare, another great guy and exceptional guide.

Those are awesome. They'll be proud to own them...I know I would be.

Reactions: ScotO
DSCF0030.JPG
Thanks guys.

Jags - pm me with something you are looking for (size/profile/etc..) and we can talk. I have sold a few - but very few - as I am just a hobbiest but if you are interested I am sure we could work something out. :)

Personally I prefer simple and hammered this little sticker out of a Ford truck coil spring/5160 for myself - black on black with a deeply cold blued blade.

Fine looking knives, they look well balanced. The damascus is amazing, almost can't take my eyes off it.

Bob, how do you get your touchmark set in? Etched? Engraved?

I think you are on your way past a hobbyist level. Fine work indeed.

I either put a vinal sticker on prior to etchent or I have an home brew electro etcher that cuts deeper for tomahawks and heavy use blades that I made from a cell phone charger.

Beautiful work Bob. I love your handicraft with these knives. They are quite unique and special. Well done!

Beautiful knives.
What kind of steel in the damascus ones?

I made a few stainless ones from kits
& one from a piece of 440C which holds an edge thru 2 moose :)

there is nothing like a handmade item.....be it furniture, fishing rods, knives, whatever..
Bob, you have an amazing talent. I know I'd be proud to own one of those knives. I've tinkered around with some smithing before, but haven't gotten serious......

I know what it takes to pound out a chunk of steel into a nice shape....... you do it very well!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
BD - these are 15n20 and 1080 about 50-60 layers, give or take. They start out as a couple inch thick stack of 7-10 pieces of opposing steel that is about 3x1" - then a lot of heat and pounding.

Tell me you use a power hammer.

I've seen tomahawks done in damascus that are stunning.

I have a 50 ton little giant and a 60 ton press - both really help with damascus. I think the press is the best "first" tool if you are going to do a lot of pattern welding because it makes setting your initial weld so much more comsistant - almost eliminating cold shuts.

Reactions: fishingpol
Status
Not open for further replies.