A Few Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EPS

Burning Hunk
Jun 5, 2015
NH
Hi All:

A few quick questions:

First, I have standing dead white birch tree on my property that I was thinking of taking down and using for firewood. I don't see a lot of people talking up white birch on this site so I was wondering if you think it's worth it.

Next, I have three acres of land, about two of which are wooded, and my property backs up to a plot of land of many dozens of acres owned by a neighbor whose house, let alone the neighbor, I've never seen or met. About fifty yards from my property line are a couple of downed dead trees that would make an excellent addition to my woodpile. How might I go about seeking permission to cut up and haul away this tree that I doubt he knows is there?

Last, but similarly, summer is roadwork season and a lot of the jobs around here leave behind plenty of logs and such as they widen roads or clean up the sides of them. How would I go about learning if the wood is alright to take? When there are people around they are usually busy at work and/or waving me and other vehicles through one lane so I can't really stop and ask. Or, when there is no one around, I don't want to accidentally steal from someone's property.

Let's just say that craigslist is not yielding a whole lot of wood to scrounge of late.

Thanks!

Heathy birch has plenty of btus to be worth the trouble. Rotted birch has beans for btus but can really put a hurt on things when pieces fall off. Dead birch should be dropped either way.

For the neighbor i would send a letter, new to the neighborhood / area, bought the old Jones' place, blah blah. Actively looking for firewood for my woodstove, blah blah, my phone is 555-1234. That sort of thing. Send it US mail.

I would start with the township building and call the utility company direct on your last.

Hi All:

A few quick questions:

First, I have standing dead white birch tree on my property that I was thinking of taking down and using for firewood. I don't see a lot of people talking up white birch on this site so I was wondering if you think it's worth it.

Next, I have three acres of land, about two of which are wooded, and my property backs up to a plot of land of many dozens of acres owned by a neighbor whose house, let alone the neighbor, I've never seen or met. About fifty yards from my property line are a couple of downed dead trees that would make an excellent addition to my woodpile. How might I go about seeking permission to cut up and haul away this tree that I doubt he knows is there?

Last, but similarly, summer is roadwork season and a lot of the jobs around here leave behind plenty of logs and such as they widen roads or clean up the sides of them. How would I go about learning if the wood is alright to take? When there are people around they are usually busy at work and/or waving me and other vehicles through one lane so I can't really stop and ask. Or, when there is no one around, I don't want to accidentally steal from someone's property.

Let's just say that craigslist is not yielding a whole lot of wood to scrounge of late.

Thanks!
If the birch is dead and on your property you may as well burn it. It will give you good heat. And being on your property, well, it doesn't get any better than that. Just as long as it's not rotted. Make sure it's good and dry enough to burn. I would get it cut, split and stacked asap. Birch should not be left in rounds very long. If it's been dead awhile it might be dry enough for this coming winter. Might behoove you to check it with a moisture meter once it's split.

Hi All:

A few quick questions:

Birch is great firewood if it's split/dried but it rots very quickly if it's not split. Whether your standing dead birch is rotted yet has to do with how long it's been dead as well as soil type and climate. Before you cut it, you need to be certain it's not rotted because, as it begins to tip into your felling cut, the top could break off and injure or kill you.

The ownership of logs left from clearing on road and utility right-of-ways is not always clear-cut (pun intended). What is clear is that if you do not own the land abutting the ROW, the logs are not yours. If you do own the land abutting the ROW, the logs might be yours or might be owned by the ROW owner, i.e. road authority (town, city, etc.) or utility. Best practice would be to ask both the ROW owner and the abutting land owner for permission to harvest the logs. Be aware that by so doing, even with permission, you may be incurring liability for loss, damage, or injuries resulting from your work.