A little confused on chimney installation. Help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asylum575

Feb 3, 2009
NY
I'm planning on installing a class a kit by Selkirk/Supervent. Let's see if I got this right or not.

1. The wall cutout should give 2" clearance around the pipe to combustibles, ie sheetrock on the inside and sheathing/siding on the exterior. This would mean a 10" cutout for 6" pipe or larger depending on the OD of the pipe.
2. With a 2x4 stick built house does 9" pipe length through the wall cover 3 1/2" framing, 1/2" sheet rock and about 1" in sheathing/siding on the exterior. That's 5", so since I need 3" inside, that's a total of 8" so that leaves me 1", but the exterior wall bracket keeps the chimney pipe 2" away from the exterior wall. Is there some room on the Tee that gives you and inch or two.
3. I was reading the installation guide for several stoves and they recommend 9-12" of clearance to combustibles on the cutout. Does the wall thimble with the exterior wall plate, interior wall spacer and class-a chimney pipe reduce the clearance to 2"?
3. I'm heading out this weekend to pick up all the pipe and don't want to make the 30 mile trip more than once.

Ed

PS I've got a good deal ($1800)on a VC Intrepid in blue, but I also saw the SUmmers Heat stove at Lowes for $350. My wife is leaning towards the VC for aesthetics, but at $350 the lowes is tempting.

[quote author="asylum575" date="1233806489"]I'm planning on installing a class a kit by Selkirk/Supervent. Let's see if I got this right or not.

<>1. The wall cutout should give 2" clearance around the pipe to combustibles, ie sheetrock on the inside and sheathing/siding on the exterior. This would mean a 10" cutout for 6" pipe or larger depending on the OD of the pipe.<>

Your 6" Class A is gonna be AT LEAST 8" OD, so you're gonna have AT LEAST a 12" hole, probably larger...

<>2. With a 2x4 stick built house does 9" pipe length through the wall cover 3 1/2" framing, 1/2" sheet rock and about 1" in sheathing/siding on the exterior. That's 5", so since I need 3" inside, that's a total of 8" so that leaves me 1", but the exterior wall bracket keeps the chimney pipe 2" away from the exterior wall. Is there some room on the Tee that gives you and inch or two.<>

The "tee" is gonna have a "leg" (for lack of a better word) of AT LEAST 3" - maybe more - where you'll make the horizontal connection, so your 2" dimension from the house will probably push your 9" length of pipe farther thru the wall to the interior...

<>3. I was reading the installation guide for several stoves and they recommend 9-12" of clearance to combustibles on the cutout. Does the wall thimble with the exterior wall plate, interior wall spacer and class-a chimney pipe reduce the clearance to 2"?<>

I would go by the clearance specs for the install of your Class A wall thimble, & maintain your stove clearances to the stove specs...
Use double-wall connector pipe or heat shields if you're in doubt...

<>3. (NOT 4?) I'm heading out this weekend to pick up all the pipe and don't want to make the 30 mile trip more than once.<>

You should be good to go...

Thanks for the reply, I went back and re-read the instructions for Englander stove.
Here is the link
http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC2004.pdf

On page seven they explain the thru wall installation. I was stuck on installation B, but know that I look at it the Class A would be installation D. Am I correct on that? If so, It makes sense, otherwise B asks for 9" of airspace.

BTW, I called the Lowes I was at and asked for an assistant to check the manufacturer of the chimney pipe. It's Supervent, I believe it's made by Selkirk. According to Selkirk's website it's sold only at DIY shops. Not sure about quality difference.

asylum575 said:
Thanks for the reply, I went back and re-read the instructions for Englander stove.
Here is the link
http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC2004.pdf

On page seven they explain the thru wall installation. I was stuck on installation B, but know that I look at it the Class A would be installation D. Am I correct on that? If so, It makes sense, otherwise B asks for 9" of airspace.

You don't want either of those installs...You're not going into a masonry chimney.
Go to the top of page 8...where it says to follow the Class A (prefabricated) chimney manufacturer's instructions...

OK, I see what you mean. I guess they didn't get really into the Premanufactured chimneys with illustrations and all because each manufacturer may be different. Just follow the chimney manufacturers instruction, i guess. Easy enough.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.