A quick couple of Hogwildz PE gasket questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 5, 2020
Scappoose, Oregon
Chimney sweep came out. He hadn't worked on an Alderlea but did a good job. It's hear it's pretty common but the baffle gasket was destroyed when he pulled the baffle out. I'm going to make Hogwildz donut but have a couple of questions I couldn't find with a search.

First, how elaborate did you weave the rope together? Just enough to make sure there are no gaps? And about gasket cement, do I need it? I was thinking I could just set it atop the secondary air tube when I reinstall the baffle so the next time I clean it won't tear apart as easily?

No gasket cement needed. Just tie the ends of the braids together to form a continuous loop.

Reactions: BirthofSerpents
BG described it well. Just unwravel the engs of the rope gasket, and tie the strands of the ends together. May take a few tries to get it to the proper size needed, but not that hard.

BG described it well. Just unwravel the engs of the rope gasket, and tie the strands of the ends together. May take a few tries to get it to the proper size needed, but not that hard.

Used a marlin spike to unravel the rope. Tying was easy. It was maybe a 1/2" larger than the secondary air tube hole but seemed to seal all sides so I installed it. Figured I'll just try a fire and see. If things aren't as expected, I'll remove and re-do.

Thanks for that tip here on this forum! It was super easy once I figured the logic out, and sourcing the actual gaskets was becoming a frustrating pain.

No problemo, tis what we are here for. Once you have it running, you prolly will find it fine and not feel like pulling it out again. The rope gasket should net you 5+ years of usage.

No problemo, tis what we are here for. Once you have it running, you prolly will find it fine and not feel like pulling it out again. The rope gasket should net you 5+ years of usage.

So far so great! I've had two fires since installing the gasket and I feel like it might actually work better than the other one. Seems like the secondary burn kicks in quick. Or I've been making better fires. I don't know. Anyway, works great.

So far so great! I've had two fires since installing the gasket and I feel like it might actually work better than the other one. Seems like the secondary burn kicks in quick. Or I've been making better fires. I don't know. Anyway, works great.
Good to hear. Note, that there is secondary jets at the back bottom of the baffle under the metal flap on bottom. Secondaries that may come from the back are normal and as designed. Enjoy

I gotta make one of these. Usually I just replace the regular gasket annually with an OEM but they aren't cheap, for how cheap they are made.

I gotta make one of these. Usually I just replace the regular gasket annually with an OEM but they aren't cheap, for how cheap they are made.
I tried to get them. Local stores couldn't get them easily. And online, even if I bought like five, the shipping was as much as or more than the gaskets.

This option was literally a couple of bucks, cutting the braided gasket to size and tying the strands together. I made too much of it in my head. It took minutes. The only slightly tough part was re-installing the baffle pin, because the hole was sitting slighty raised by the thicker braid. I just used vice grips to pull it down a little before inserting.

Like I said, it could be I'm making better fires, or my wood's more seasoned now but my secondaries have been kicking within 5 - 10 minutes in a way I hadn't noticed before. I had the fire dialed within 25 minutes such that it pretty much cruised from there minus a tweak or two.

Reactions: Woody5506
my local dealer carries them, but usually when I go I buy 5 or so. Last time I was there a couple years ago they were $5 each. Once I'm done with my current stock I'll try the homemade gasket.

my local dealer carries them, but usually when I go I buy 5 or so. Last time I was there a couple years ago they were $5 each. Once I'm done with my current stock I'll try the homemade gasket.
Last time I bought a pack of 3 they were about $3.50 a piece for the old T6. Since then it has been running on the Ugga Ugga caveman gasket.

• Haha
Reactions: saydinli
Last time I bought a pack of 3 they were about $3.50 a piece for the old T6. Since then it has been running on the Ugga Ugga caveman gasket.

I'm pretty well convinced my dealer has charged something different each time I've bought them, or in other words just makes up a price.