a splitter forged in the bowels of hell ! see pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
just figured you guys would like this.... found it on CL . for sale for 500$ . 2 cylinder 22 horsepower wisconsin motor . still think its overpriced for a homemade jobbie . heck what am i thinkin, i love my 12lb mega maul and fiskars axe !

love the mismatched tires...

click the pics to make em big!

Attachments

• logsplitter 001 (Large).JPG
    logsplitter 001 (Large).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 1,176
  • logsplitter 002 (Large).JPG
    logsplitter 002 (Large).JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,216
  • logsplitter 003 (Large).JPG
    logsplitter 003 (Large).JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,167
one more pic.........................

Attachments

• logsplitter 004 (Large).JPG
    logsplitter 004 (Large).JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,055
Absolutely worth 5 C's if it runs OK Woodbutcher...try it out could be the best investment you ever made. Also it looks more user friendly than the dreck they're putting out today. Just say'en that's one of the best home builts I've ever seen.

savageactor7 said:
Absolutely worth 5 C's if it runs OK Woodbutcher...try it out could be the best investment you ever made. Also it looks more user friendly than the dreck they're putting out today. Just say'en that's one of the best home builts I've ever seen.
I agree!

That mofo is going to be loud. Note the spark arrestor muffler thing. Also figure that if it sits in the rain that water will run right into the cylinders.

The hydro and fuel tanks are very creative but the hydro tank is very small and the gas tank pretty big. The stroke looks small and the cylinder might only be a 4" meaning that if the hydro pump is matched to the engine which would theoretically run a 44 GPM pump that ram will move fast!

It looks very stout. Wonder what the rear bumper deal is all about.

Looks kinda cool. Whether it makes financial sense...guess I'd need to know more about the machine, what it needs, etc. But it certainly has the makings of a fun project. Add a bigger hydro tank, make sure the pump and hoses are the right size, and have a fast cycle machine!!

well, i wish i could take one of you guys with me . didnt know this could be a gold mine!
ill have to call him to get details.
what should i ask?

what size is the hydraulic tank?
what length is the stroke from back all the way to the blade?
what diameter is the ram?
does the engine idle fine?
anything else?
i will call him asap , but need to sound like i know what im saying.
its an hour or so away, so i need to be specific in my questions before i spend an afternoon goin out there.
maybe hell go to 400$ ? guess it depends on what it needs.

thanks a ton guys!!!

Highbeam said:
It looks very stout. Wonder what the rear bumper deal is all about.

To split vertically??? (semi-tongue-in-cheek)

Jay

Those wisconsin motors run forever!! When I worked for a equipment dealer that was all they put in scissor and boom lifts.
I'd buy it for $500 if it worked good!! Even though you probably need a Semi to tow it!

Now THAT is a towable splitter! Put decent tires and lights on it and you could actually move it safely at more than 35mph.

I would be all over it if it's a runner.

Is it jsut me or does it not have a very long range of operation? It looks like the longest you could get in there would maybe 14" rounds?

Pretty cool splitter though...if it were local and running it would be attached to my truck's hitch right now.

That mofo is going to be loud. Note the spark arrestor muffler thing. Also figure that if it sits in the rain that water will run right into the cylinders.

Lose the exhaust and bolt on a full motorcycle exhaust off a cruiser or other quiet bike. Route the exhaust under and through the bumper.

Even if you had to replace some parts like the cylinder and the hydro tank, the expensive parts are all good.

My only questions would be does it operate, and does it leak. Bring a round to test it out. Oh and to tow it home would be risky if it is an hour away, might consider a trailer to load that thing onto. The hitch is an old style tractor pin hitch.

Jim K in PA said:
Now THAT is a towable splitter! Put decent tires and lights on it and you could actually move it safely at more than 35mph.

I can see two lights on the upper corners of that rear bumper...

Jay

Jay H said:
Jim K in PA said:

I can see two lights on the upper corners of that rear bumper...

Jay

Those may just be reflectors. I don't see any sign of a wiring harness/plug anywhere in the vicinity of the tongue. Rick

fossil said:
Those may just be reflectors. I don't see any sign of a wiring harnes/plug anywhere in the vicinity of the tongue. Rick

MM, true.

Strange enough, in NJ, no lights are needed if the object towed doesn't cover the vehicle's brake lights, although that looks like a tall splitter.. I towed my TroyBilt home without any lights or electrics but I also did it on a weekday and only like 2 miles.

Jay

ok, i just got off the phone with him .
bad news is he has someone thats been bugging him to come out and buy it since a few days ago.

he said if he doesnt buy it, hell call me. i was on the phone with him for about 30 minutes.
heres what he told me .

he worked at a construction company , and on the rainy days, would take pieces from old equipment, and part them together to make this monstrosity.
there were 2 of the best welders around that worked for the company, and a hydraulic expert that worked as a trencher, and he did the hydros on it.

its a 22" stroke and could fit a 24" log.
he said the hydro tank and gas tank were the same size? about 8-10 gallons. he remembers filling the gas tank with 5 gallons and it wouldnt fill it up all the way. maybe he was just talking about the gas tank. ..

the cylinder is from a front end loader, and he assumed it was 2-3" in diameter .

the pump came from a ford backho .

the motor was from an old trencher. he said another company had that same motor on their trencher and when it broke it cost 1000$ for them to have one shipped.

its a manual return handle.

he said theres a starter on it and theres no way of charging the battery? , so he would take heavy duty jumper cables ( he said they HAD to be beefy cables to work) and would hook em to his truck and it would fire up right away.
hed hook up the positive the starter terminal and ground the negative.

he said the plug was fouling out at one time, and couldnt figure it out. he then found out it had one of those air filters with the steel mesh that you fill with oil to keep it moist, and when he would fill it to the oil fill line , it would suck oil into the air intake and foul out the plugs. so he said he would fill it half way and it worked perfect then . he suggested some type of paper filter that would work great.

the heavy rear gate that the reflectors attach to was used to counterbalance the 150-200lb tongue weight it has
thats about it

he said im next in line and said the guy is coming out friday afternoon and either way hes gonna call me.
i told him i could be out tomorrow, but he wants to stay loyal . :(

so well see . . .
now... tell me what ya think of this nonsense. . . :O

Hummmm, well it's a pain to split without a detent and it does have issues. But truthfully if it were me and I could start it with no problem and it split my elm I'd be happy to pay 5 for it. With conventional splitters you can manhandle them around and that make splitting easier to do...I don't think you'll be moving that around.

someone on the arbor site said if someone else is looking at it , its probably gonna be gone. it be nice to find out it wasnt on friday though .

i like how mean it looks. i think you can get a detent for 70$ for this thing. .. but portablility might be a problem, good point.

I have a tongue jack with a caster wheel on it. But all my moving is done on concrete. I would guess with a big enough caster wheel it shouldnt be too hard on grass.

ive got a 3-wheeler , the old bad ass shaft-driven honda, and itll pull that thing all over dodge. i got a bulldog 5k lb a-frame jack on my new wood hauler(pics soon!) and that big 15$ castor wheel digs right into the mud... unless its fairly dry. but heck, its rainin like cats and cords in cleveland right now.

savageactor7 said:
Hummmm, well it's a pain to split without a detent...
I'm not so sure... depends on the cycle time and how far into the round the wedge has to go before you reverse. If I let my ram auto-return all the way, I then have wait for it to extend enough to reach the round. Sometimes it's faster to manually retract the ram just enough to clear the round than it is to start again from the home position.

Hmmm, well a backhoe pump could be significant from a modern ford but not so sure on an old one. My 30 HP tractor only pumps 12 GPM and that is pretty high for a tractor. I'm thinking that the pump might be pretty high flow.

I guess I'm not a "loyal" enough guy. My deal is that the first guy to show up with the cash gets the item. For sale is for sale.

good news! they backed out because they had no way of picking it up an hour away. no trailer to pick it up since it has a pin-style coupler (not tow worthy for 85 miles on the freeway) . although, then again it might be fine. the owner said he would tow it on the freeway and just take off his ball on his receiver hitch and put a hge beefy bolt through it. . .

well guess whos got a trailer to put this on!!! heheheh

going to check it out tomorrow morning. with cash in hand.
i hope you all realize im motivated to go out there cus of your guys' excitement!
so... what to bring ...
i have some splintery american elm, crotch pieces from sugar maple, and knotted hickory.

what cycle time should i be looking for ?
as in from when the blade starts to split an 18" long log to when its done traveling 18 inches.
i have no idea. i read somewhere cycle time to go from when the arm starts to go forward to when its locked back ready for another one is usually 12 seconds?

any leaking lines... etc.

i dont want to pay 500 , 450$ tops.
and thats if nothing leaks, it starts right up, and rips through some angry maple i got layin around.
then if/when i get her home, ill take a ton of pics for your guys to point me in the right direction as to what the heck i need to change and what i need to improve ( like not needing a car to start it ! ) .

wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.