Above or below the demand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EnCalientesAqua

Jan 24, 2009
Kentland IN
I have hilly land. I decided to place my boiler shed 5 feet above the top of my storage and 2 feet above the actual air HX's. I could have placed the boiler 5 - 20 feet above or below its current location. am I missing out of any gravity feeding opportunities?

I have often thought that since my boiler is slightly above I could be setting myself up for an overheat problem. If a pipe froze and broke for example almost all my pipe is below the boiler.

Cally

A low water cutoff would be a good idea when your boiler is above the radiation. Since you won't get any gravity flow with your boiler, a power backup of some sort would be helpful in the event of a power outage... if for no other reason that to keep the water circulating around the firebox so as not to produce steam and pressure. A standby generator is the best option, but a battery backup on one of your circs would do the trick as well.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.