Accentra FS distribution fan too slow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jrmagee

Nov 11, 2018
California
Fan is running but doesn't go higher than a "medium=low" setting or less even when stove is blasting.

Seems to be somewhat erratic... ran a little faster a few days ago, but then down again. I cleaned everything out pretty good. The probe is not clogged with ash but appears "discolored", maybe has some thin buildup of some kind?
Other symptoms maybe related: Hi/Lo fan switch seems reversed - when I switch to Hi I get nothing. I saw a note I wrote years ago on the manual saying "Hi/Lo reversed".
Board was replaced about 7 years ago. This one has a "positive stop" in the off position. A few years ago it stopped wanting to turn off so we have to turn the pot past the click-point a few times to get it to shut down.

Fan was replaced about 7 years ago also. It had been clogged with pet-hair, etc.

Should the fan spin "freely" with the stove off? I mean, like a bicycle wheel? If it does not then I guess I will need to pull the fan... I keep think it may be an electrical or a probe problem... because I don't like pulling the fan unless it's obvious...

Thanks!

Fan is running but doesn't go higher than a "medium=low" setting or less even when stove is blasting.

Seems to be somewhat erratic... ran a little faster a few days ago, but then down again. I cleaned everything out pretty good. The probe is not clogged with ash but appears "discolored", maybe has some thin buildup of some kind?
Other symptoms maybe related: Hi/Lo fan switch seems reversed - when I switch to Hi I get nothing. I saw a note I wrote years ago on the manual saying "Hi/Lo reversed".
Board was replaced about 7 years ago. This one has a "positive stop" in the off position. A few years ago it stopped wanting to turn off so we have to turn the pot past the click-point a few times to get it to shut down.

Fan was replaced about 7 years ago also. It had been clogged with pet-hair, etc.

Should the fan spin "freely" with the stove off? I mean, like a bicycle wheel? If it does not then I guess I will need to pull the fan... I keep think it may be an electrical or a probe problem... because I don't like pulling the fan unless it's obvious...

Thanks!
Yes the fan should spin freely. It should not feel stiff. Sounds like your fan is shot.

Reactions: jackman
It's worth attempting a clean and lube. Remove fan, blow out with compressed air and remove one end rubber fan bushing at a time. Lube white teflon inner bushing with a drop of small motor oil and reassemble so rubber is centered in hole just as was. Hopefully you notice a large difference in fan being able to freewheel once both sides are done.

Thanks!
I have one of these apart in front of me at this very moment. These blowers rely on bronze bushings to support the motor and blower wheels. Once these dry up the friction goes through the roof. Getting some lube into the bushings should be really helpful. It's really not too hard to remove and take the blower apart if you're handy. I assume your blower switch is reversed due to the hot wires on the motor being reversed too.

YMMV,

Hugh
IMG_20230201_112753726.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rickwai