Accentra insert burn pot issue - is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tim_M

Burning Hunk
Mar 28, 2010
Halifax, NS
image.jpeg
The inside of the burn pot on my 10 year old Accentra insert has developed an indentation on either side, down towards the bottom. I'm concerned that these are getting more pronounced and at some point will become holes. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing this is being caused by the configuration of the air holes that is concentrating the heat in this area?

That would do it. You could get it welded with a better overlay of a stainless before its gets any worse and really is a pain to get the pot replaced and expensive.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I checked my stove and while I don't have the exact same model I don't have any deformation of the burn pot. My stove is also 10 years old. It seems yours might be experiencing some ageing.

Thanks for the comments. Now that I look closely at the flame pattern I can see horizontal flames shooting from those 2 holes above the auger tube, and those flames are exactly where the groves have formed in the sides of the burn pot. I think I'll explore Bioburner's suggestion of welding patches, once heating season is over. I priced a burn pot and with shipping and tax I'd be looking at around $300 Cdn.