Accentra - question about users' choices of blower speeds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmiraglia

Nov 26, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm not fond of blower noise. I have an Accentra insert (165CFM blower) sits in the main living area. I found that once the room is warm, I run it on stove temp 4 with the blower on low. The room has been 72 degrees for the past several days even as the outside temperatures have been dropping (I haven't even scraped the burn pot in 3 or 4 days. It should be cleaned again but I hate to disturb it while it is burning so well :) ). My question is, does running the fan on high get more heat into the room or does it just distribute the heat to a larger area? I've found so far that on low speeds the air seems hotter as I presume the air isn't cooling the heat exchanger as much. I picked the Harman because blower speed wasn't simply tied to the feed rate the way it seemed some others were - e.g. the Quadrafire. So I can run it a little hotter. Any other Harman owners take this approach? Am I wasting heat if I run the stove on medium or high with a low speed fan? If so where does the heat go?

Hi New Harman P61 owner here. Im wondering the same thing I ususlly leave mine on low fan because the air coming out seems hotterThen on med or high. Feed on 4 and set at roome temp Advice?

I'm the proud new owner of a XXV. If it's the fan noise you don't like, and a consistant temp. the most efficiant setting should be using the room temp setting and just put the fan speed between high and low so the noise doesn't get too intense. Also, this will ensure that the heat being produced is dispersed through the room and not out the flue. The great thing about our Harmons is that the feed rate will slow as the room reaches the desired temp (plus the fan as well). AKA: your best efficiancy, and quietest running method. I use this method but have to turn the fan on high to circulate the air through the house, and I go through about a bag and a half in 24 hours (I live on Prince Edward Island=cold, white winters!) and this method has kept the house warm and the oil furnace off! Good luck.

Can anyone else give thiere opinion on the blower speeds for the Harmans?Im still experimenting, and trying to find the most economical way to run it. Thanks

pe islander said:
I'm the proud new owner of a XXV. If it's the fan noise you don't like, and a consistant temp. the most efficiant setting should be using the room temp setting and just put the fan speed between high and low so the noise doesn't get too intense. Also, this will ensure that the heat being produced is dispersed through the room and not out the flue. The great thing about our Harmons is that the feed rate will slow as the room reaches the desired temp (plus the fan as well). AKA: your best efficiancy, and quietest running method. I use this method but have to turn the fan on high to circulate the air through the house, and I go through about a bag and a half in 24 hours (I live on Prince Edward Island=cold, white winters!) and this method has kept the house warm and the oil furnace off! Good luck.

Hello pe islander,

I'm also a proud new owner of a XXV. One week to the day. Knock on wood, the darn thing has ran 24/7 and the only thing I do is put pellets in it. Incredible! This is after heating with wood for 11 years. I feel like I have a new lease on life.
I run on stove temp 4 fan medium. We have very little fan noise. When we go to bed I turn the fan to high and the black toggle switch to high. We can't hear it running from the bed rooms and the heat is distributed through out the house during the coldest part of the day. I looked over several brands of stoves for almost two years and I feel very comfortable that Harman is the best on the market. The feed/ash dump pot system is so simple and effecient, it is what sold me. Along with the good looks.

Keep warm!

I would suggest putting a stove gauge on the exhaust pipe and observe the temperature difference between low and high distribution fan speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.