Add more chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

larryjbjr

Jan 24, 2017
WI
OK, so this is my Johnson outdoor wood boiler. All it has for a chimney is the little nub from the factory .

Do I need to add some chimney on top of this? Or is it fine the way it is?

d96d9632f54d82c84d1a6aedb3f196be.jpg

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the “Johnson” brand. If it’s a forced induction boiler draft won’t be an issue. You may want a taller chimney if the smoke bothers you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve never had one, so I don’t know how It is supposed to act.

I definitely would like the smoke higher so I will try that.

If that is your home in the backround your going to need a much much taller chimney to clear the peak. You will need to have a guy wire supported chimney stack to do this right and a chimney cap.

I would call Rockford Chimney Supply and explain to them what you have and the outside diameter of the chimney flue breech and what the height of the peak of the home is as you need at least 2 feet above the peak to gain the benefit of the prevailing winds. I purchased a 3 foot stainless steel extension from them for my block chimney and its made all the difference in the world making my 8 by 12 tile lined chimney almost 19 feet tall.

The other thing is that wood smoke is toxic and it will get in the house. You should think about investing in an Oreck Air Cleaner in the living space and leave it running on high at all times as Asthma has been caused by wood smoke.

I will tell you what I did with my old hand fed wood and coal boiler. I filled half of the Switzer boilers firebox volume to the flue breech with full firebrick and that always kept the fire hot and burned any smoke that would have been blown out the stack and reduced the amount of smoke at idle. It made all the difference in the world as I have a house that is not tight.

Yes, that is my home in the background. It’s about 70 feet away. Also it’s located on the south east of my house and the wind blows mostly from the Northwest during the winter time. So I’m expecting the
smoke mostly to be blown away from my house.

I thought about lining it with brick. So you really think it made a big difference for the better?

I’ve never had one, so I don’t know how It is supposed to act.

I definitely would like the smoke higher so I will try that.

Not likely many here have had one either - plus we can't see how it's acting.

I would add another length or two of pipe. It can only be better. Should improve the draft and will emit the smoke at a higher level. Forced draft is usually misconstrued as a method to force the exhaust out the pipe when on most wood burning appliances it is only there to control combustion so chimney draft also plays a part.

Try adding a length of pipe but wait to see how it works before filling it with firebrick. Not many BTUs in that stuff.

Reactions: StihlKicking