Add on Wood Furnace in Standalone Application in Barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jshouse41

Dec 23, 2016
Ohio
In need of advice:

I have installed a DAKA add on wood furnace in a standalone application in a barn.

I am not getting the heat that I was hoping for.

Has anyone else installed a similar furnace in a barn with success?

I think I am losing too much heat through the chimney or do not properly have it setup.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Jon

Barn is pretty vague. Most old dairy barns by me are 60 by 100 on average by my estimate. That's a lot of space! Or is this a pole shed? How well insulated is it? Give us some more info.

It its a new 40 x 72 x 12 pole barn with insulated doors. Currently has R-6 foam boards on the wall and bubble insulation under the roof.

Getting ready to add more ceiling insulation as I have eave vents.

Fire burns for several hours and the barn only rises a few degrees. I can use a kerosene heater and raise the temp 20 degrees.

Pictures are attached of the stove and stove pipe.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Attachments

• stove pipe.jpg
    stove pipe.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 311
  • stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,576
I calculate between a 70- 80,000 BTU load maintaining 65° at a 0° outdoor temperature. Depending how well it is sealed for infiltration, air leakage around the doors.

What is the BTU/hr output of the furnace? How many CFM are you moving?

Stack temperature?

I can use a kerosene heater and raise the temp 20 degrees.
What size? most I have seen are 200,000 btu's or more. That would be at least twice as much heat per hour as the Daka.

That's a big space to heat when you have minimal insulation. R-6 is less than half the r-value a 2X4 wall will hold. I'm not sure what r-value the bubble wrap has. I'd say add more insulation and possibly two ceiling fans to push some of that warm air down from those high ceilings. It also looks like the barometric damper it tipped back. It should be level in all directions.

I heat a 30x60 pole barn with 14' ceilings and much much better insulation than you have. Insulated doors, R20 walls, R10 underslab, and R-50 attic. I have to burn my stove at full output all day (say 12 hours)to get a 20 degree rise at floor level.

1) It takes a lot of heat and time to warm up the slab which will then carry the temperature pretty well. I didn't read that you insulated under your slab?
2) You have roof "bubble wrap" which is worthless plus eave vents so you have ventilated the space? Don't you think the heat is happily rising up and out?
3) That foam is crazy flammable and toxic and should not be exposed like it is near the stove. Foam is good but you need to cover it.

It's going to take you a long time, if it is even possible, to heat that barn until you seal up the ventilation from the heated space and get some real insulation.

That said, your choice of a wood furnace will usually give you more output than any stove so your Daka can stay.

Reactions: laynes69
Status
Not open for further replies.