Adding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dabug

Oct 21, 2018
Monroe County Pa
Need ideas on easy clean way to add pellets to Harman accentra 52i tc. Previous we had pc 45 that had better opening, problem wife melted several bags back then. Coal bucket didn't work well,pellets also ended on stove and floor while loading insert.

I keep a bin that holds 2 bags by the stove then use a feed scoop to fill the stove.

Reactions: Dabug
We use the medium sized scoop program.

Works pretty well, with only the occasional small spill.

Nothing is perfect on the stoves with a less than huge opening.

Need ideas on easy clean way to add pellets to Harman accentra 52i tc. Previous we had pc 45 that had better opening, problem wife melted several bags back then. Coal bucket didn't work well,pellets also ended on stove and floor while loading insert.
we put the bag into the hopper, then with a razor knife,
cut the bottom and the pellets just fall out thru the bottom.
kind of a reverse fill......

I've used a 5-gallon bucket for the past 10 years. Actually a chlorine bucket I had from my pool chemicals. Pellets in the basement cut the bag open load up the bucket bring the bucket upstairs lift it and dump it into the hopper. Bucket only holds about 30lbs of pellets.

I keep a bin that holds 2 bags by the stove then use a feed scoop to fill the stove.

This is exactly what I did last winter when I couldn't lift bags of pellets. My mom hauled in a bunch of bags every few days to a week.

Now I just rip the bag in the right spot and it zips open, then lift it and dump it in. It's also nice that the ridges in the hopper happen to line up about perfectly with the half bag and 1 bag mark. When it gets to a certain spot I know I'm safe to dump a bag in and not have it overflow.

If you cannot use a "coal bucket" with the tapered snout,then you probably should not own use a pellet stove. Just being honest.

Reactions: JRemington
Being "over the hill" with a bad back etc, with a wife who has inherited the "cleaning gene". I stack the pellets in the attached garage. Use a rolling hydraulic table that has a foot pump to raise/lower it, I move the bags of pellets under a electric hoist which lifts a couple of bags @ a time into a 30 gallon barrel with a trap door in the bottom. (holds 4 bags) I fill individual one gallon buckets from the barrel that go in a wheel barrel-cart to the stove. Pour each bucket into the stove. The 30 gallon barrel has a vacuum system that removes most of the dust. I either do this or no pellet stove. Approx. 3 one gallon buckets = one bag of pellets. Also, I have a bin that hold 2 bags, adjacent to the stove. I know, it sounds complicated, but I have it down to a system.