adjustable-height desk mechanism

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I'm building a big built-in desk in my study. I was thinking it'd be cool if it had a computer terminal spot that could be adjustable in height, so as to be a standing desk when desired. The adjustable part would be about 24" x 38" in size, a generous size for a monitor/keyboard/trackpad.

Googling for hardware to implement the adjustable-height function, I came across this outfit:

Probably looking at the FLT-11 or FLT-03-2-1, or this one that inexplicably is not on that page:

I can't seem to find much independent discussion of this company and their products though. So wondering if anyone has experience with them, or with alternatives - or just how they look to you.

I've had a commercially made adjustable computer desk for when I was in the business. A good one needs to have the right spring tension to make it easy to raise or lower. Mine had mini-screw jacks that did the job. They worked pretty well and locked into place. You want a solid, non-wiggling surface for typing and mousing. That means the base frame needs to be sturdy. The electric ones are trick.

So I just put one of these together. You might be able to find one that accommodates a more narrow top or if you are handy this Pune could be cut down quite easy to fit your width.
Evan
TOPSKY Dual Motor Electric Adjustable Standing Computer Desk for Home and Office (Black Frame only) Amazon product ASIN B08C2LC3H2

Just saw these comments (I don't seem to get email notifications from hearth). I decided to buy ProgressiveDesk's FLT-01 (the second link in my OP) and it is pretty cool. Easy to assemble, nice smooth and fairly quick motion, and rock solid even when extended to full height.

Reactions: EbS-P
Just saw these comments (I don't seem to get email notifications from hearth). I decided to buy ProgressiveDesk's FLT-01 (the second link in my OP) and it is pretty cool. Easy to assemble, nice smooth and fairly quick motion, and rock solid even when extended to full height.
Probably more size appropriate for your needs than what I did with mine.

Attachments

• BFF9001D-19AF-45F1-86B2-1C3AF7D66FD4.jpeg
    BFF9001D-19AF-45F1-86B2-1C3AF7D66FD4.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 77
Probably more size appropriate for your needs than what I did with mine.
That's cool, nice combo of the rustic desktop and the modern mechanism.

Did yours also come from Progressive Desk ?

Topsky from Amazon. I had the slab laying around for almost 2 years. It’s not flat but I did my best with a power planer to get it flat enough. Top is 7’4” long. And about 65 pounds.