adjusting feed rate vs adjusting temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
I run my stove in stove temp at all times.

(if you can please respond in the following format)
1. Will adjusting my feed rate increase/decrease the BTU heat output?
2. why? how?
3. whats the difference between adjusting feed rate and adjusting the temp?

I'd like to understand the mechanics on how/why it works.

Thank you

I run my stove in stove temp at all times.

(if you can please respond in the following format)
1. Will adjusting my feed rate increase/decrease the BTU heat output?
2. why? how?
3. whats the difference between adjusting feed rate and adjusting the temp?

I'd like to understand the mechanics on how/why it works.

Thank you

Adjusting your feed rate knob will not affect BTU output unless you set it too low for the stove temp you're setting for i.e. if you set the feed rate knob to "2" and the stove temp to "6" not enough pellets will likely be fed to hit the ESP temp that corresponds to 6 so the stove will emit less BTUs than it would of the feed rate was set higher. Think of the feed rate knob as a governor that limits the maximum amount of fuel that can ever be fed the stove. Conversely, changing the feed knob setting from 4 to 6 will not increase the heat output of a stove with the stove temp set at say 2. Just enough pellet will be fed to heat the ESP up to the temperature corresponding to the "2" setting.

Adjusting temperature in room temperature mode causes the stove to adjust pellet feed rate to maintain the set room temperature. So if you come into the room and it's 60*F and you bump the temperature setting up to 65*F, the stove will ramp the feed rate up to the maximum that the set feed rate will allow and then slowly ramp the rate down as the room temperature approaches the set point. If you have the feed rate knob set really high, you'll experience a really large fire initially and get up to the set temperature quicker. If the feed rate is set lower then the warm up fire will not be as big since the maximum pellet feed is more limited and it will take longer to warm the room up to the set temperature. Once again, feed rate = maximum feed rate = governor function

Hope that helps. I'm about 87% sure I actually understand this correctly;)

Hugh

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko and wally1234
Adjusting your feed rate knob will not affect BTU output unless you set it too low for the stove temp you're setting for i.e. if you set the feed rate knob to "2" and the stove temp to "6" not enough pellets will likely be fed to hit the ESP temp that corresponds to 6 so the stove will emit less BTUs than it would of the feed rate was set higher. Think of the feed rate knob as a governor that limits the maximum amount of fuel that can ever be fed the stove. Conversely, changing the feed knob setting from 4 to 6 will not increase the heat output of a stove with the stove temp set at say 2. Just enough pellet will be fed to heat the ESP up to the temperature corresponding to the "2" setting.

Adjusting temperature in room temperature mode causes the stove to adjust pellet feed rate to maintain the set room temperature. So if you come into the room and it's 60*F and you bump the temperature setting up to 65*F, the stove will ramp the feed rate up to the maximum that the set feed rate will allow and then slowly ramp the rate down as the room temperature approaches the set point. If you have the feed rate knob set really high, you'll experience a really large fire initially and get up to the set temperature quicker. If the feed rate is set lower then the warm up fire will not be as big since the maximum pellet feed is more limited and it will take longer to warm the room up to the set temperature. Once again, feed rate = maximum feed rate = governor function

Hope that helps. I'm about 87% sure I actually understand this correctly;)

Hugh
i like this answer and makes sense:). thank you