Advantage II insert, end of the line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DRJAWBONES

Dec 16, 2021
New York state
Bought this house 3 years ago with a Whitfield advantage 2 t insert. It’s necessary to help heat the house. Finally realized it was causing allergies and long story short, replaced convection blower, then exhaust blower, then even the aluminum cast transduct (that’s the pipe behind the exhaust blower. So much frustration, so much money! At last got it started again and….allergies! Sinuses slam shut, mouth feels like I’ve been licking a fireplace.

I’ve done everything with replaceable parts and connections that can be done. Is this the end? If so, any recommendations?

Cover the distribution fan(center of the fan where air enters) with filter material. The only thing that would exasperate allergies is the distribution fan moving already allergen filled air from inside the house, it’s a sealed system. Are you using an outside air kit?

That’s ok to do?? Awesome, I’ll try it! There’s no outside air intake, it just draws from the fireplace space. I’ve vacuumed that out well, but I’m sure it’s never ideal. Thank you!

That’s ok to do?? Awesome, I’ll try it! There’s no outside air intake, it just draws from the fireplace space. I’ve vacuumed that out well, but I’m sure it’s never ideal. Thank you!
My other worry is that there might be a crack in the heat exchanger, etc, that’s still letting ash and smoke in—is that likely?

It is possible, if you take an LED flashlight and shine it in or at the front of the suspected heat exchanger, you should see the smoke if there is a crack…could you post some photos of your setup?

It is possible, if you take an LED flashlight and shine it in or at the front of the suspected heat exchanger, you should see the smoke if there is a crack…could you post some photos of your setup?
625CBC75-A7BD-4B93-80F3-BAFAE1747DD2.jpeg
2A7ED158-98FD-42DC-971F-27D5ABF04E26.jpeg
F79A3FA5-B598-4273-ADE6-80CE40525AFA.jpeg
52C30FA2-6368-4B0E-8278-AB7088AA6F75.jpeg

Attaching photos including new fans and the piece of furnace filter I just put on the convection fan. Can’t see smoke right now from tubes (daylight) but there’s a kind of sooty smell that comes out only when there’s a fire (running cold, no smell). sometimes like toasted marshmallows? Have cleaned with a bottle brush.

i would be more likely to say its pulling some nasty air from your fireplace since their is no air intake... Who knows whats growing in the chimney where its pulling the air.... Get a good quality air purifier that is auto sensing will probably make a big difference.. I run 3 of them in my house year round due to my little one and her allergy's.

Reactions: Washed-Up
i would be more likely to say its pulling some nasty air from your fireplace since their is no air intake... Who knows whats growing in the chimney where its pulling the air.... Get a good quality air purifier that is auto sensing will probably make a big difference.. I run 3 of them in my house year round due to my little one and her allergy's.
Thanks!

Glad you figured it out! Happy burning!

Glad you figured it out! Happy burning!
Thank you! Do you have any advice on how to best do the filter on the convection blower? Mine was helpful but the motor seemed to start laboring—may have been sucked in a bit. Clearly there’s no product out there for this so wondering about a viable workaround.

Take some fireproof filter material and cover the air inlet with some screen behind it, Home Depot has small screen….not %100 but works to a certain degree

Nothing really viable for regular pellet stoves,and you run the risk of burning up the fan motor. The bigger units, with dual fans, made for duct work, have successfully added on filters. I use one of these, in summer, when Cali. forest fire smoke is killing me, and I started setting it on top the stove, for when I clean out the stove. Some are made for wood shops, so they can run continuously, but I have no need in winter. Got mine used of the bay , looks like the one I will post a picture of. They use any grade MERV filter, in regular common furnace sizes, mine is 10x20. Got mine used, less than 150 bucks.
s-l640.jpg