Need help with old Whitfield Advantage II burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattM

Oct 23, 2022
WA
Hello all. I have a 1989-1990 Whitfield advantage II my dad bought brand new. It's finally burned a hole in the burn pot after 25 or so seasons of actual use. It's used to heat the recreational/add on living portion of our garage, which is about 1100 sq ft by itself. I purchased a replacement drop in burn grate that is identical to what is in the pot, but the original is welded in. I can't find much on this style of burn pot/plenum as it seems they didn't use it very long. The serial # of the stove is in the 17,000 range. It's been a pretty decent stove over the years, it's needed the nylatron auger housing bushing upgrade and a convection blower motor once, that's about it. Is it normal for these original burn pots to be welded in? I find it pretty odd that it is but it's how it came. I am a bit puzzled on what to actually do with it. Attached are a picture I found online of the same burn pot I have and the replacement insert I bought. Dimensions of new insert are correct. I can't seem to find a new burn pot body at all?

31cydtNIolL._AC_.jpg s-l640.jpg

Hello all. I have a 1989-1990 Whitfield advantage II my dad bought brand new. It's finally burned a hole in the burn pot after 25 or so seasons of actual use. It's used to heat the recreational/add on living portion of our garage, which is about 1100 sq ft by itself. I purchased a replacement drop in burn grate that is identical to what is in the pot, but the original is welded in. I can't find much on this style of burn pot/plenum as it seems they didn't use it very long. The serial # of the stove is in the 17,000 range. It's been a pretty decent stove over the years, it's needed the nylatron auger housing bushing upgrade and a convection blower motor once, that's about it. Is it normal for these original burn pots to be welded in? I find it pretty odd that it is but it's how it came. I am a bit puzzled on what to actually do with it. Attached are a picture I found online of the same burn pot I have and the replacement insert I bought. Dimensions of new insert are correct. I can't seem to find a new burn pot body at all?

View attachment 301273 View attachment 301274
I did a search for “Whitfield advantage II burn pot” and I found one that looks like your first picture at STOVE & GRILL PARTS FOR LESS.

The description reads:

Whitfield Advantage Burnpot For Older Models, 12150700

Burn Grate/ Burn Pot/Firepot for older Whitfield pellet stoves with serials 7217- 43377. Fits the following Whitfield pellet stoves:

• Advantage II (Serial 7217 - 43377)

• Advantage ll-T (Serial 7217 - 43377)
  • Advantage lll (Serial 7217 - 43377)
Please check the width of your burn pot.

This Burn Pot is 6-7/16 inches wide x 2-7/8" Front to back x 2-1/4" Deep and has holes in the bottom. (No Bars) From tabs it measures 6 11/16" wide.

Old stocking part number 800705121.

Also used in Waterford and Erin Models.

https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...t-advantage-lll-after-market-fire-pot-pp2005#

So what you're looking for is that replacement base plate, as it swaps out your welded one with the updated model with removable burn pot.

From what I read the switch to the removable burn pot happened within the first year or two mid production- likely for what you're experiencing now, difficulty replacing worn parts.