Advice - Indoor wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly, though I'd want to check with the individual manufacturers to be sure... Primary requirement as I understand it is to keep the unit out of the weather, which what you are describing MIGHT do... However you also are at increased risk of freezing, so you will probably need to run anti-freeze instead of water, which will hurt your efficiency some.

If it were me, I'd probably consider trying to put in at least a minimal slab where the boiler would go, and adding a wall and some insulation to the building - you will be spending some big bucks on the boiler, why try to cheap out on the building and risk damaging it?

Gooserider

Thanks. At some point, we'll replace the garage. I'd build this on a slab and build the new garage around it.
Just from reading these forums, it seems that the indoor boilers are somewhere in the middle range between the OWB and gassifiers in terms of efficiency and convenience. Is that correct? (By convenience I mean what you can burn and how often you fill. )

In some areas, code prohibits woodburning appliances in garages, and some insurance companies do as well. Worth checking. Garages also see large temperature swings. Any time you have a cold night followed by a humid day, every metal item in the garage will be covered in condensation.

If possible, I'd go with the insulated boiler room idea. Put in a minimal slab and frame in one end or corner of the garage space. It doesn't have to be big, beautiful, or expensive.

GSPRO - We have installed many indoor boilers in uninsulated garages both gasifiers as well as traditional units. By insulating the outer water jacket we loose very little heat from the units, that is on the Thermo-Control boilers, the Econoburn Gasification boilers are pre-insulated. Many folks like the units in a shed or garage to keep the mess outside away from the house. Of course you benifit by having a unit that is much better in efficiency that any of the traditional OWB's. If you have any othr questions shoot me an email at [email protected]

gspro,

I ran an indoor boiler , and a gasifier. I have installed, but not run an OWB. There is no comparison between the indoor boiler and the gassifier IMO. I had a Sime- Cast iron wet based wood/ coal unit. It ate wood as fast as I could feed it ( almost) In a house that burned 1200 gallons of oil- that boiler burned 10+ cords of wood and some coal & did "most of my heating" with oil under $2 theres no real economy there compared to if you had to buy wood. Plus all of the work keeping up with it. Thats why I gave up on it. The gassifier on the other hand is a pleasure, burns roughly 1/2 the amount of wood etc.
I wound up with the Sime at the time because... it was all I could afford. If that's your situation, I would say you do what you can

Best of luck, Chris

got mine in an unattached garage, that we now call a wood storage building(this made the insurance company happy). My boiler room is insulated, on a slab. I like the setup, works well. Also, figure(roughly) that a cord of well seasoned wood = 150 gals of oil. This is for a gassifier. I think a traditional/old style boiler is closer to 100 gals= a cord of wood. About the same as a OWB. I will probably be closer to cord=165 gals of oil with my set up, now that I'm getting better at using it. Less wood equals less time and money. I'm just starting to go 4 days on a fire for my DHW.

Status
Not open for further replies.