Advice on building a raised limestone hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Anyone have any experience using a slab of limestone for a stove pad? I’m looking to have a 2” thick slab sitting about ten inches high.

Mainly interested in how you built your frame? After the frame, did you use plywood with some thinset?

There have been a few that have done this. What is the hearth in front of - a masonry fireplace, insert, ZC fireplace? Gas or wood?

Will be a free standing stove sitting in front of existing prefab. I already ripped out the old brick hearth that was too tall and narrow. Now I’m down to subfloor.

The hearth design need to follow the prefab's requirements. It wouldn't hurt to exceed requirements if there is a possibility of a change out at some later point. One option would be to support the new hearth on cement blocks.