Advice on good pellets NH/MA area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smcarlisle

Nov 15, 2015
Harvard Ma
What are folks finding for good pellets? Burned Maines Choice last year and were clean, but a bit ashy. Heat output might be fair. Looking to upgrade from those. Is the TSC blend any good? Home Cheapo or Lowes have anything? Looking for what price people are paying too. Thanks in advance!

So I am currently going thru a bag of TSC white with blue lettering - with a MWP UPC. Those pellets are throwing good heat and little ash compared to the ThermaGlo's I was burning earlier this month. And TSC has put out a coupon in the mail for 10% off purchases.

FSU's at HD have always served me well too. However, some peole find them ashy and with black soot (not creosote).

So I am currently going thru a bag of TSC white with blue lettering - with a MWP UPC. Those pellets are throwing good heat and little ash compared to the ThermaGlo's I was burning earlier this month. And TSC has put out a coupon in the mail for 10% off purchases.

FSU's at HD have always served me well too. However, some peole find them ashy and with black soot (not creosote).

Is that the TSC blend or 100% hardwood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardwood I believe

Is the TSC blend any good? Home Cheapo or Lowes have anything? Looking for what price people are paying too.

They all have pellets. Yes. Are they worth it?
You need to ask people, or read reports here..
But many are burning the stuff that they bought last year
at bargain prices... I don't blame anyone for stocking up at those prices..
If the opportunity presented itself, I would too.
However..
That does not mean that they would buy them
at $259 and up.... Teams for over $300.

And I think that pretty much answers the question...
$259 for Green Supreme? Inferno?
Over just a little more for say a La Crete? Or similar product?
I wouldn't.
There are Spruce Point and Platinums for less than that in our area.
and La Crete for only $16 more..

Dan

They all have pellets. Yes. Are they worth it?
You need to ask people, or read reports here..
But many are burning the stuff that they bought last year
at bargain prices... I don't blame anyone for stocking up at those prices..
If the opportunity presented itself, I would too.
However..
That does not mean that they would buy them
at $259 and up.... Teams for over $300.

And I think that pretty much answers the question...
$259 for Green Supreme? Inferno?
Over just a little more for say a La Crete? Or similar product?
I wouldn't.
There are Spruce Point and Platinums for less than that in our area.
and La Crete for only $16 more..

Dan

Doing a somewhat controlled experiment in order to choose, plan was to burn 4 bags each, but found it was taking too long ($per ton)-

I bought 4 bags of Lauzon Northern Max ($255), 4 bags of TSC blend ($249), 4 bags of Maine's Choice ($259), and 4 bags of Okies ($349). Measuring the ash and heat from each brand. 1) MC has moderate heat, 36oz ash from 3 bags. 2) LNM has high heat, 2 bags in and barely any ash. 3), 4) pending.

Most likely not going with the Okies based on what I am seeing from the LNM, and the +$100 difference.

My 2 cents
-Scott

Wow. Great price on the lauzon.id go with those in a heartbeat

Reactions: smcarlisle
Doing a somewhat controlled experiment in order to choose, plan was to burn 4 bags each, but found it was taking too long ($per ton)-

I bought 4 bags of Lauzon Northern Max ($255), 4 bags of TSC blend ($249), 4 bags of Maine's Choice ($259), and 4 bags of Okies ($349). Measuring the ash and heat from each brand. 1) MC has moderate heat, 36oz ash from 3 bags. 2) LNM has high heat, 2 bags in and barely any ash. 3), 4) pending.

Most likely not going with the Okies based on what I am seeing from the LNM, and the +$100 difference.

My 2 cents
-Scott

Update on above. 2) LNM ash after 3 bags is 18oz, half that of Maine Choice. 3) TSC blend after 3 bags is 30oz of black dirty ash. Heat is good/high. Possibly will update with others, but the winner is LNM for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.