Advise on purchasing a chimney brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

02809bristol

Mar 9, 2014
Rhode Island
Well I've burned my first ton , and would like to clean my new Harman 52i. Looking for advise on what brand/type of chimney brush to purchase. I've seen Rutland &. Imperial brands. Are there any other brands out there ? Is one better than the other?....

and no matter what brand you buy don't forget to tighten the brush to the end of the flex rod.

Good reminder, and never spin the rod in the direction that could unscrew the brush or rod sections.

For the record, I've been happy with the Linteater.

Harman video shows inserting brush where combustion fan is . I realize only to insert a little bit , due to ESP probe . For complete cleaning I guess I'll slide insert out and go from chassis of the insert up into liner.

Anyone out there clean after each ton ? I clean out and vacuum every7-10 days , haven't clean combustion fan yet .

Well I've burned my first ton , and would like to clean my new Harman 52i. Looking for advise on what brand/type of chimney brush to purchase. I've seen Rutland &. Imperial brands. Are there any other brands out there ? Is one better than the other?....
Brand doesn't matter a whole .lot IMO, how you use it does. As mentioned tighten to the rods, I will add use a drill turning only clockwise ( tightening the threads vs loosening them). With an insert flexibility in the rods can be important. Never turn the drill on in reverse, You could end up unscrewing the brush while it's in your venting someplace..

I happen to have Rutland with the vinyl rods. Didn't like it at first but just found out to let the drill do the work. The thing about this system is the rods are quite flexible and it gets up through my gentle S turn in my 26' vertical vent well. As i add rods i feed it a cou0ple of feet at a time till it runs up freely to the next little hang up. Just keep spinning the brush it will go through. Spin feed, spin feed up it goes right to the top. I get pockets of ash all the way up there, it's amazing though the S turn has the most by far and that's only about 6 ft up.

As I understand the 52i you ( I have a P61) you need to get around some tight spots getting up into the vent.. Lint Eater is good, a lot of people use those. Name a brand some curses it !! Someone else loves it.

We clean our vent after every ton. Just cleaned it today. We just have whatever cheap brushes they sell at the store to loosen everything up, then use the leaf blower trick

We clean our vent after every ton. Just cleaned it today. We just have whatever cheap brushes they sell at the store to loosen everything up, then use the leaf blower trick
I did mine today as well. 1-1/5 tons of pretty ashy pellets. Kind of messy but nothing remotely ljke a blockage. Very very fine ash, dusty. Kept the ash vac going , as the dust came down out after a bunch of ash dropped into the bag a cloud came up and right into the ash vac ( my usual routine).. That may be it till March now as I go into burning Okie DF's for the cold weather. The last bag of the real ashy stuff is in the hopper right now, Green Supreme.

If you have a 4" vent the Linteater is relatively cheap and widely available at Lowe's. For a 3" vent you could use the Sooteater - which includes 3" and 4" brushes, and probably easiest to buy online such as Amazon. Both made by the same company.

If you have a 4" vent the Linteater is relatively cheap and widely available at Lowe's. For a 3" vent you could use the Sooteater - which includes 3" and 4" brushes, and probably easiest to buy online such as Amazon. Both made by the same company.

I have a 3" vent and the Linteater works fine. There's plenty of give in the brush to fit the smaller vent. The Linteater comes with the vacuum adapter for the cleanout tee which I don't think the Sooteater includes. My tee is inside so it's important to be able to capture everything that the brush loosens up. I suppose if your cleanout is outside, it doesn't matter so much.

I don't know what brand I have, I just bought whatever HD had in the appliance section. Later I discovered they had a self described pellet stove vent brush set - for a higher price.

The set I bought has 4 rods, but given my set up I only need two. The three inch brush is quite soft and flexible to the point I can gently/carefully work it past the ESP and clean that off as well.

I have the one from Rutland and have been happy with it. Only use it a couple of times per year. Always nervous about losing the brush every time I use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.