Air compressor tank for thermal storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

seanf410

Oct 30, 2022
upstate NY
Hello, new to the forum but have been reading up on several of the threads regarding wood boilers. I am currently replacing an old HS Tarm boiler with a Biomass 25 gasifier that just arrived from New Horizon. I am currently working on thermal storage set up on a budget. I came across some 200 gallon air compressor storage tanks at a decent price and was wondering if two of these would be a good option. The house is 2200 square feet with water baseboard and I typically only burn on the weekends as I am still learning the process and don't like to leave the boiler unattended.
Thank you

Well, 400 gallons is better than nothing, but I'm betting that most of the guys with storage will tell you that you'll want more like 800-1000 gallons...

I have 500 gallons and wish I had more ;) with a 100K boiler. They should work as pressurized tanks, definitely not for unpressurized.

Thank you for the quick responses. The 400 gallons would definitely just be a start and would add more down the road when I came across some extra $$$. Will the air tanks work? I would spray foam insulate the exteriors.

The air tanks will work