air elimination choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Is there a difference in performance between the spirovent and the taco vortech air seperator? The taco vortech is $20.00 less. Not afraid to pay the extra $20.00 if I need to.

Spirovent is micro-bubble separation. In Taco looks to be most simular to the 4900 ? ( I think )...
http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-2.9.pdf
Although the Vortec does look nice too. A step above an air scoop for sure.
IFY the instructions suggest keeping these closed until the system has circulated some so as not to contaminate.
I have only used the Spirovent and it works nicely.

So the vortech is not a micro bubble scrubber ?

I'm using the Taco Vortech, as it was supplied with my system. I have been running with it for two years with no air and no problems. I'm not sure if the spirovent is better, but I have had no problems with the Taco.

I was just pointing out that there is a subtle difference between the 4900 and the Vortec.
Not an expert in any way and they may indeed work just as well. I just wanted to point this out. Some times sales guys will do the "Oh this will work just as well " because it's on the shelf......

Any problem with running a air scoop first, then a Spirovent? I have both, any harm, any benefit to running both? Thanks...........Brian

I think the main difference is one is brass on one cast iron. One uses pall rings, the other a screen. We lab tested most of the micro air bubble removers on the market, including these Tacos. All models and brands worked in the 90% efficiency range.

Micro bubble removers do a much better job of eliminating tiny air bubbles and entrained air. The screen, mesh, rings, or media is the key to the efficiency. A regular scoop type vent does not have a means to stop and collect those small air bubbler. The micro bubble removers are the way to go.

Different manufacturers use different means to catch those micro bubbles. Aggressive fluid conditions can attack and destroy the screen and mesh types, but that is the fault of the fluid, not the separator. Caleffi uses a polymer media to eliminate that potential, knowing that glycols can go bad, ph drops, and attack the fine mesh or screen medias.

hr

Well if I read right, the vortech isn't a micro bubble scruber but the 4900 is. Guess I'll just get the spirovent. Thanks for the help. J.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.