Air leak from glass window (with video)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnXfreeride

Oct 24, 2013
Maine
Hello, I just came home to a house smelling like camp fire and the pellet stove which my wife had turned off because she said the flame was "huge and there was a pile of pellets" in the burn pot. The burn pot was very full of unburned pellets, as was the ash tray, along with a large chunk of hardened ash.

I assumed it was a bag bag of pellets, did a half effort vaccuum because I need to goto sleep to work another 12 hour shift...but when I restarted it there was a whistle from the glass that was new. I dont dare goto bed as Im sure there is a leak and it will not burn right.

The door feels and sounds fine.. but the glass when pressed in certain ways you can hear the whistle change or stop... while pressing on the frame of the glass does nothing telling me its the glass seal not door seal...

So is this something I need to on occasion re-seal with high temp sealant? It doesnt look like it is meant to be sealed that way?

Any input? It looks like I can unscrew some tabs holding the glass... but then what?

It would be helpful to know what brand and model stove it is. Do you have an owners manual??

Stove make and model is needed.

Some stoves do not have a window gasket going all the way around this is for the air wash. However sometimes that air wash is too large and causes burn issues.

Do not attempt to use silicone sealant as it will not work for that purpose.

its a glowboy FGB classic freestanding

Thanks for any help, I have a manual its not very detailed.. looking through now for mention of a gasket. I wonder if I can reseat a gasket if there is on.

*edit* there is no mention of doing anything with the glass, or any gaskets... nothing at all about this issue in troubleshooting either.

Gasket video: I see a gasket of sorts.. its only on the edges and goes away around the top and bottom of the glass. Seems like not a very smart design.. Please excuse the dirty stove.. it was very clean before this happened and I havent had time to clean.. only sleep and eat.

ALso of note.. the reason I originally contributed this to a bad bag of pellets was because the edge of the bag was not sealed.. the last 3" of the bag were open to air pointing to the inside of the pallet.

The top and bottom leak with the lighter test..

Last edited:
Your gasket around the windows definitely needs to be replaced, Your manual says that gasketing is not to be installed on top or bottom portions of the glass this is the air wash.
The gasket on the sides should wrap around the corners of the glass by @ one inch. The pressure of the glass is what holds it in. (page 34)
It looks like 1/4 inch flat

edit: I think you need to replace the door gasket too, it looks oversized to me, but maybe someone else will chime in.

Last edited:
If there is an air wash and the glass isn't supposed to have a gasket on the top or bottom, wouldn't the flame be drawn in anyways as shown in the picture?

My Integra does not have a gasket at the top of glass, but does on sides and bottom.
His manual does state no gasket on either top or bottom glass (here)
There must be other stoves that have the same configuration
Chandler I am with you as that was my thought too. Maybe someone else can chime in as to why as in a better explanation :)

If there is an air wash and the glass isn't supposed to have a gasket on the top or bottom, wouldn't the flame be drawn in anyways as shown in the picture?

Yes where ever there the gasket isn't the flame should be drawn in.

You can check door gaskets with the use of a piece of paper the size of a dollar bill.

You close the door on the bill and try to pull the bill out, it should present resistance at every spot you perform the test. This test should be done at two points on each edge of the door. If any point fails to present resistance you need to adjust the door so it doesn't. Repeat the test again if you can't perform the test successfully replace the gasket.

Always test after replacement and make any adjustments needed. They take the air wash gaps into consideration when sizing the combustion blowers, there is no consideration made for failing gaskets. Failing gaskets result in poor burns, pellet pile up and other nasty things that can make stuff like smoke leak out of your hopper etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.